electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Marantz reciever - static once per day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mozgus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fongs wrote:
Hi,

Does the 'static' happens when u turn or slide the Volume or tone controls? If not, it could be a bigger problem... your caps drying or transistors may be dying.

No it just turns on randomly when I'm not touching the unit at all.
fongs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then u could be having a bad transistor, dying up capacitor or bad grounding somewhere. Unlikely to be the "dirty pot" problem. I doubt the contact cleaner will help.

U may need to do signal tracing to 1st identify if it's the power amp or pre-amp problem.

1. Do u see the same problem if u line out to another amp/ receiver? U can line out by connecting the 'Rec Out' or 'Tape Out' of this amp to the line in of another. U may need to switch the 'Tape Monitor' on.

2. Do u hear the 'static' if u turn the volume to '0'?

If #1 is 'yes', u r likely to have a faulty pre-amp. If #2 is 'yes', it's likely to be the power amp fault. Smile
Mozgus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fongs wrote:
Then u could be having a bad transistor, dying up capacitor or bad grounding somewhere. Unlikely to be the "dirty pot" problem. I doubt the contact cleaner will help.

U may need to do signal tracing to 1st identify if it's the power amp or pre-amp problem.

1. Do u see the same problem if u line out to another amp/ receiver? U can line out by connecting the 'Rec Out' or 'Tape Out' of this amp to the line in of another. U may need to switch the 'Tape Monitor' on.

2. Do u hear the 'static' if u turn the volume to '0'?

If #1 is 'yes', u r likely to have a faulty pre-amp. If #2 is 'yes', it's likely to be the power amp fault. Smile

I'll keep it in mind, but the reciever has been great all day. Maybe moving the unit knocked something back in place.
fongs

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know that... perhaps the set has dry joint in some components??

I'd re-solder the power amp section especially the power transistors. These generate lots of heat when in operation. The soldering joint maybe bad.
Mozgus

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fongs wrote:
Good to know that... perhaps the set has dry joint in some components??

I'd re-solder the power amp section especially the power transistors. These generate lots of heat when in operation. The soldering joint maybe bad.

Crap, it happened again today.

Do you think I should just go around heating and cooling all the solder joints, or should I soak up the old solder and put new on?
fongs

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both methods should work. I personally like to re-solder with new solder.

Smile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys! I still havent gotten around to messing with it yet but I just realized something odd about the static which might be helpful in figuring out the exact part which is at fault! Hear me out.

Ok I have digital buttons for controlling volume. Now I was listening to the static at different volume levels. I noticed that at 0% volume, there is 0% static, however when I raise it, the static raises too.

Now here is the weird part. Once the volume reaches about 20%, the static goes completely mute! Now as I continue to raise the volume, the static raises again with it, and then at about 45% volume, the static dramatically drops down to a faint noise. I raise the volume/static more, and at 60% the static drops again. Then at 80% volume, the static goes COMPLETELY mute again like it did at 20%, and it remains gone for the rest of the volume scale.

So with this knowledge, what component do you guys think is at fault? This kind of reminds me of a gear system in a car or a bicycle and I was wondering if the volume in this thing operated in a similar way?
Mozgus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, that last post was by me.
fongs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The contact spray wouldn't work if yours is using digital volume control.

Could be due to bad volume control IC...? U wuld need the schema to locate this IC.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the unit you're talking about, and your best bet will be to open it up, and check for any blown up or popped capacitors. Next, unscrew the fuse, and reseat it. Set the clock and move the slider on the bottom to off. And repaint the corney flames... its vintage not punk. what are you using to input the the reciever?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия