electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Please define "flat screen" TV ...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atom

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Please define "flat screen" TV ... Reply with quote

I am not sure of what all the meanings of the term "flat screen" are. I associate this term with an LCD or plasma (non-CRT) TV or monitor.

Can someone please enlighten me as to exactly what this term "flat screen" refers to? This has been puzzling me for quite a while.

Mel

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Flat Screen Reply with quote

It is a CRT screen that is perfectly flat. If you would like to own one, check out www.FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for a chance to earn one at no cost but a little effort on your part. I just got one and it is great.
Atom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..

.. ok thank you, Mel.

The only flat faced crt's were Sony Trinitrons when I was an active repair tech, as I recall. Things have changed I see...

Thanks again ... this was confusing me.

Mel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 9:55 pm    Post subject: Flat Screen Reply with quote

I just received one from the site that I referred to and am now trying to help my grandson earn one. One of the advantages of the flat screen is the you get a clear view of the picture no matter at what angle you view it whereas the old CRTs give you a distorted picture when viewed from an angle.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mel: spam shithead.

Atom: I think trinitrons are still the only real flat crt's. The others I see look like they are curved inside but flat on the outside, which looks odd because of the thickness of the glass in the front.
Atom

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

. wrote:
Atom: I think trinitrons are still the only real flat crt's. The others I see look like they are curved inside but flat on the outside, which looks odd because of the thickness of the glass in the front.

Oh ok ... yeah I wasn't sure what was meant by flatscreen... I thought that maybe it was just LCD's or something but apparently it's the modern crt's which are flatter than the older ones? Thanx .. Smile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The screens were supposed to be FLAT since the very begginings of the TV (including those B/W ones), but they couldn't solve the picture distortion problems, so all TV's were made with the screens shaped as a cut of a sphere.

The first to address these problems was SONY making so called TRINITRON screens, which were shaped as a cut of a cylinder, but also making it proprietary, which made it very expencive for everyone else to produce it (TYPICALLY SONY). Only a few very expencive computer monitors were produced as TRINITRONs (NOKIA, NEC, PHILIPS). To solve the distortion problems, SONY stored the correction patterns in EEPROM, reading it repeatedly while displaying lines/frames (Everyone who had fixed older TRINITRON monitors & TV sets knows how complicated those circuits were).

The new TV sets might have really flat screen (sometimes marked as "PURE FLAT"), but the producer had to solve the distortion problems, including the FOCUS correction during each line (that must be complicated - regulating 5kV voltage at 15kHz or higher). That's why so many those "FLAT" screen TV's have actually distorted picture. Go to any consumer electronics shop - if you find more than 10% TV's WITHOUT ANY DISTORTION, I'll buy you a lunch!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия