electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Thinkpad T20 unknown problem cause

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Thinkpad T20 unknown problem cause Reply with quote

I got screwed when I purchased a Thinkpad T20(2647-86U). It seemed to work fine but when I brought it home, that night it just wouldnt bootup when I restarted it. It will startup and display the tilted IBM Thinkpad logo, but when you press F1 for bios setup or F12 to select boot source or just let it sit(to load the OS) it makes a long beep then two short beeps then it just does nothing. I tried removing the CPU and RAM with a obvious change meaning that they are not the problem. I removed the Hard drive(which obviously doesnt really matter), button cell battery, and a bent cord towards the screen with no change in the bootup. Because of where it seems to lockup, I think it could be the BIOS. Does anyone have any ideas?
a guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Thinkpad T20 unknown problem cause Reply with quote

a guest wrote:
...I removed... a bent cord towards the screen...

Its in its place its just bent at an angle.
a guest

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and I also removed the dvd6x reader drive.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does IBM say about one long and two short beeps? Most bios manufacturers publish their beep codes. Maybe the previous owner can tell you the secret to getting it to boot?
a guest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

as i said above, the previous owner is not one that would help me. It booted fine when I got it but later(I didnt do anything) it just wouldnt boot up. The only thing I found on IBM's website for one long- two short includes a blank or unreadable screen Confused , which is not my case.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some laptops (like Toshiba) can have a BIOS password that must be entered before it will boot. I am not familiar with Thinkpads. I am sure you have tried to boot from a floppy or cd. I think some viruses can corrupt the BIOS. Apart from this I do not have any more suggestions. Sad
Lyon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Thinkpad blank screen Reply with quote

The reason for this is a power cap. it is common for the T20-21-22-23 thinkpads. they come loose due to heat. My t23 had same problem and after putting in a freezer cooled the cap off enough to run for a bit. check to make sure all caps have not come loose from the motherboard. Another main cause is the thinkpads eeprom chips, they get jarble and would have to be re-programmed but check the caps first as this is the first clue if theres a black screen. I replaced every cap which cost me like 12 bucks and works perfectly again! I later sold it and aquired another T23 but check those caps.
angelosiera

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

change the backup battery and it will be okey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия