electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Acer hates AC power! Is ok only with battery

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
magma

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Acer hates AC power! Is ok only with battery Reply with quote

Proud owner of an Acer Aspire 1510 series that I am Very Happy , I keep resoldering the power jack back into place every time it loosens. And it worked just fine up until now.

For some reason sick of resoldering I extended two cords outside the plastic case and soldered the jack outside of the machine to avoid the pressure that made it crack. Alas, the machine doesn't seem to like it. Evil or Very Mad

Multimeter reads ok for the solderings outside, on top and bottom of motherboard but for some stupid reason the power doesn't get distributed. It gets there and stays there. Only way to power up the machine is on battery (yes it still works fine) but battery is already running low and I have no idea what to try next.

Is there any chance that I accidentaly burnt something on the mainboard somewhere between where power gets in and before it gets distributed? Any ideas on what to look for?

The jack might have three pins but I only need two, right? The middle and one of the externals, right?

Any help will be celebrated with fireworks as I'm closing up to a deadline and I having no computer or way to charge the battery, I'm becoming desperate.

Many thanks in advance...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

since you have a VOM/tester, set it to X1, be sure to discharge the largest capacitor u can find in the power supply that you have just modified, starting from where you first work into, place your negative(-) lead in one of the AC main terminals down to the trace that leads to the Bridge type Diode that leads to the ST.

On what you have said, if im not mistaken, you only put or added a line/wire from the socket with a three pin, you are right, the middle one is only for the earth ground.

anyway, see if there is a voltage commin out from your power supply not in the AC. probbobly there would be a 12 volts output regardless of the polarity. And if it is present then rejoice! there would be no sign of problem in your power supply and what you have done, except that there is a great possibility that your laptop is the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you have an internal powersupply. Sometimes a jack will have a switch incorporated in it that switches when a plug is inserted. How many pins did you unsolder to remove the socket?
Is it safe to use with a half removed socket? Did you use double insulated wire? I hope you have mounted it in a nonconductive enclosure.
Or you may have an external powersupply and I am completely mistaken. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия