electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
sony dvd player powers on then turns off

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jryan15

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: sony dvd player powers on then turns off Reply with quote

my sony dvd player dvp-nc655p will not stay on. when i plug in the player and press the eject or power button, the unit turns on for a second and then powers off (goes into stand by mode with the red light on).

whenever i press a button to bring the unit out of stand by, the status led changes to green, the disc number buttons light up, and the display comes up with "Sony DVD player" and then everything goes blank and the led goes from green back to red.

this started after i had taken the dvd drive out of the unit to clean and lube it. when i reinstalled the unit it was in this failure mode. i inspected everything and found that the metal film on the flat cables that go to the drive had come loose and were touching each other. i corrected the problem with no change to the problem.

i've since purchased a new dvd drive and cables, but can not get past this problem. any help would be apprecitated! thanks!
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your description of the problem is typical on sony DVD's where the laser pickup is unable to reset itself to "home" position & generally is caused by the worm geared drive motor that controls the movement of the laser.
however sounds like you might have somehow caused the problem.

Make sure the ribbon to the wormed motor is not damaged/torn. Laser pickup MUST be at home position at power on or it will shutt it self off right away. As a matter of fact you can manually push it all the way back to the spindle (home position) to verify.

BTW...it was not necessary to remove the laser for cleaning.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! that took care of the problem!!! awesome!

yes, it's my fault for the damage. i had previously cleaned the laser and still wasn't able to get it running reliably, so i pulled to drive out to lubricate the rails as well as to add a little sewing machine oil to the spindle motor...

thanks again for the help!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия