electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
JVC RX-318 FM/AM Receiver (Amp) questions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neonperfect

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 2:07 am    Post subject: JVC RX-318 FM/AM Receiver (Amp) questions... Reply with quote

I got a JVC RX-318 receiver from a friend, it wasn't working and I wanted to see if I could fix it (he was throwing it out). Now, I have some experience with electronics, but most of it is in computer hardware and some TV's and older turntables... This receiver has the power button that has the light on and, when pressed, the red indicator on the volume knob lights up. Other than that, there are no signs of life, so to speak. I did find a glass fuse (designation 250V6A) that had some discoloration inside, which may be the culprit. The power/volume lights operate with or without the fuse inserted, so I think it is the most likely cause.

However, I have no idea where to get a replacement or how to test other things. Any suggestions? Perhaps somebody has an extra fuse they wouldn't mind sending me? Any help would be appreciated... Thanks in advance!!!
fongs

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: JVC RX-318 FM/AM Receiver (Amp) questions... Reply with quote

Hi,

R u staying in NY, USA? If so, your receiver would be hooked up with 110vAC.

The fuse u mentioned is meant to work with countries running 230vAC. Chances are, your receiver is drawing power via a different fuse (maybe rated 110-120vAC). Tat's why it works with or without the 250v fuse.

Re: troubleshooting the receiver. Do u hear a 'click' sound after u power up? Does the tuner work (any "FM Stereo" indicator or Frequency display)? Does it work with headphones?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply! Yes, it does make a clicking sound when turning on the power button. However, nothing shows up on the display (it's black, no power/signal to it), and no sound comes through even with headphones, whether it be FM or CD... Just not sure what to do... What fuse SHOULD I use then? I should have realized that the 250V fuse is wrong, lol (I was born in Europe). Thanks for the help!
fongs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it does make a clicking sound when turning on the power button. However, nothing shows up on the display (it's black, no power/signal to it), and no sound comes through even with headphones, whether it be FM or CD... Just not sure what to do... What fuse SHOULD I use then? I should have realized that the 250V fuse is wrong, lol (I was born in Europe). Thanks for the help!

Don't seem like u need to focus on the Primary power section as there's power going to the Power Amp section -- the 'click' sound indicates the relay has powered up the Power Amp.

With the limited info, it seems to me tat there's some failure in the Secondary power to the Control / Pre-amp board. I'd do my voltage tracing from there with a multimeter.

Good luck! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия