electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Harman Kardon AVR320 going into standby for bizarre reasons

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mlove29

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:59 am    Post subject: Harman Kardon AVR320 going into standby for bizarre reasons Reply with quote

For those who like an intriguing problem, please read on. My HK receiver, about 6 years old, started popping into standby mode. It started randomly (about once a day), but once it started, turning the receiver back on would cause it to pop off again after a couple minutes. It's at the point now where it goes into standby after being on for just 10 seconds. I decided to unplug various speakers to see if it would stay on without a specific input, output, or speaker. As it turns out, only when everything was disconnected from the back did the AVR stay on. I further noticed that if I touched even one connector to the external shielding of the AVR, it would immediately switch into standby. I thought the AVR was shot, so I ordered a new one. However, since just touching the outside shielding of a connector was forcing the AVR to shut down, this did not make sense to me, so I decided to try to narrow it down further. After a long process of elimination, I discovered that only systems that are in some way connected to my digital cable shielding (Cable box, Tivo, VCR, etc.) would shut down the AVR if I touched a video or audio connector from them to the shielding of an AVR connection point. In fact, if I disconnect my cable from my whole setup, the AVR actually works fine. If I touch the external shielding of my digital coax cable to the HK chassis, it immediately shuts down. I'm having a hard time rationalizing what could be occurring here to cause the AVR to go into standby mode, but the cause is scientific fact (the shielding on the coax cable from the cable company). Anyone have any ideas??? The HK does not have a grounding wire. Would it help if I grounded everything (the cable shielding, the HK chassis, etc.)???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия