electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Toshiba 42H81 - distorted image (convergence?)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PhoCris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:24 pm    Post subject: Toshiba 42H81 - distorted image (convergence?) Reply with quote

For a month now my projection TV has displayed a distorted image. It began on my ANT1 and ANT2 input while the other ones were fine so I could watch DVDs fine. When I just turn on the TV, I would have to wait maybe 5 minutes before I could watch it normally.

Now after I came back from vacation I can't get a clear picture. After 5minutes the pictures would get better but it would still distort and go from blue, to green and red hues.

I tried the 64 points convergence thing, but while the grid displays normally, when I go back to normal programming the image is distorted again. The same goes with the TV menu, it displays fine while the rest doesn't.

Can anyone help me?

Thanks.
Frank

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is in the convergence amps. stk's.
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to my hell. With the back off behind the jack pack is a board labeled MVPU13 OR 14. There are 11 surface mount caps all 10uf @16v that need to be replaced. To remove the board you need to unsolder the 4 legs of the unit. Yah yah yah PTS sucks but the board in NLA from Toshiba. Pts will rebuild it for I believe $185. Symptoms jagged video, smeared picture, loss of sync, loss of color. More or less a crappy picture. I've been about 85% at rebuilding them myself. Am I suggesting you try it? Hell no. We have techs that still after years can't get it right. PM me. I can rebuild it if need be. Got I hate hyper boards!
PhoCris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

Ok I really don't understand much about all this technical stuffs but I think I got an idea of what you said. Is there any other reasons, other than the one you gave me, that would explain the symptoms I'm getting? Should I get a techs to come and check the TV?

From what you told me, there's no need to contact Toshiba since the part is unavailable. But you can rebuild one. How much would it cost? Is replacing the part difficult? And how long can the repair last?

Thank you for your help.
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toshiba quit making the hyper boards about 2 years ago. The metal caps dry out. I use electrolitic caps. They don't seem to go bad. Call a repair shop and ask them if you brought the module in how much would they charge you to fix it. Once the 4 legs are unsoldered it snaps in and out. A plastic rail. Caps are about $.30. So $3.30 for the caps. When I do it for my friends I charge them a grand daddy bottle of gin! Very Happy If you pulled the hyperboard out yourself, I can't see someone/shop charging more that $80.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK but is the module easily recognizable once I remove the back of the TV? Is there any risk of electrocution? Should I take some precautions? How big is the module? Sorry for all these questions but i'm a total newbie.

I know someone who's really good at soldering (part of his job) so can I buy the parts myself and got him to resolder the caps on the module?

Thank you for your help minnnie.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия