electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Voltage regulator fault driving me MAD

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimwit100

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Voltage regulator fault driving me MAD Reply with quote

I'v got a LG dvd/vcr/surround sound unit with a strange fault in the power supply that is driving me mad.
There are two 7805 regulators wired in parallel all three pins are totally in parallel and they are mounted on identical heatsinks but in use one heatsink gets very hot and I mean very hot if I swap the two regulators over complete with the heat sinks the same one still gets hot even though it is in the position of the other one on the pcb also swapping them over onto each others heat sink has the same effect the same heat sink gets hot. I have also changed the regulators for new ones but the same heat sink gets hot. I have examined the heat sinks closely and the look identical there are no sharp bits high point etc.
Can anyone help?
cory

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im not familiar with this unit and maybr your right but seems impossible resoning why they would put 2 regulators in parallel.whats the point, recheck and you will probably find each supplies different loads.find what is loading heated regulator and troubleshoot that section.hope this helps.regs in parallel?
Dimwit100

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought as well it seems pointless to put 2 regs in parallel but they are you can clearly see the track on the pcb as they are facing each other about 20mm apart. Like I said above the reg that it fitted to the one particular heatsink is the one getting hot even if you physically swap the 2 regs over on the pcb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Restoration

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Regulators in parallel? Reply with quote

I well belive you are being driven MAD!
Simply put, it's WRONG, there is no way that two 7805 type regulators can work correctly in full parrallel.
Slight variations in the individual ICs will always mean that one will draw more current than the other and cook!
Are you sure that its not supposed to be a complementery Balanced, supply?
+5v 0 +5v or Similar?
That would be normal, and a short between the two + rails would explain the Heat!
Sorry that the only way to trace this is either the old fasioned way, pore over the board to trace the destination or each track and draw a diagram.
or duy a service data sheet/ circuit diagram.
If you were sure that it's exactly as it is meant to be, and the Regulators should be in full Parallel, the insert a Resistor, 1 ohm or half ohm in series with the output terminal of each regulator, 1 watt or so, to balance the loading.
Since the Design is wrong a mod would be appropiate, but see that you are sure of this before you start Hacking!!
Melvyn
Restoration Or Repair.
Northern Ireland

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elect. tech: Had the problem many times. One 7805 has gone out of spec. Replace both with exact same batch numbers.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up modding the board and got rid of the two 7805's and fitted a larger 5 volt regulator complete with heatsink remote to the board. But it has been so long ago now I can't remember the type but it worked.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия