electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony F355E video camera: capacitors gone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Changes

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:02 am    Post subject: Sony F355E video camera: capacitors gone? Reply with quote

I have an exceedingly old (some 14 years old, I think) F355E 8mm video camera.

After maybe two or three years of use it was left in a drawer for a long time. When I got it out, it turned on but refused to do anything, only displaying this (artfully recreated in Paint) symbol:

There was also a strange smell in the cassette compartment. Nothing burned, but definitely something electronic.
I got the nearest Sony service center to look at it. They told me the capacitors had gone to a better place, and that was the reason for the smell and the symbol.
The parts themselves were cheap, but the time needed to replace them all would have driven the repair cost up to the point where it would have cost only slightly less than a new video camera.
I put it back in its drawer, and left it there for another few years.

I just got it out again (I can't believe the battery is still somewhat functional), figuring I can try repairing it myself. The symbol is still there, but now there are also diagonal, rapidly moving lines on the display. They are always visible, but I think they become more so when at full zoom. They don't depend on the tape heads because they're there even when there's no tape in. They are also present when in AV-out mode, so it's not the tiny CRT the camera uses as its viewfinder.

Sooo, the questions:
1) Is the diagnosis made by the service center correct?
2) If it is, what are the parts I should replace? I understood they are capacitors, but what do they look like? Are they SMD or discrete components (I'm guessing the first, but the camera is really rather old so I'm not sure)?
3) Could that symbol be caused by the same thing that causes the diagonal stripes? I wouldn't want to go to all the pain or replacing the capacitors only to have stripey recordings...
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model & the "fishy" smell are very much typical of the SMD capacitor leakage that plauged a lot of those units. In general, the only problem were the caps & changing SMD caps are not difficult HOWEVER, the leakage of electrolyte after coming in contact with the deteriorating seal at the bottom of the can created a very corrosive, conductive liquid that would end up eating away traces/feedthrus/etc causing all sorts of symptoms & problems--- nearly impossible to repair(the older, the worse)
It even had a very destructive capillary action where it would literally travel along traces & up on to the pins of IC's/txistor/etc.

At the time of popularity just about the only repair was IF you could catch it early enough b4 all the damage----Definitely Not Worth The Trouble
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия