electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
issue with my handheld console draining batterys...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: issue with my handheld console draining batterys... Reply with quote

Hi, ok I have this handheld gadget gp2x heres a link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GP2X

Now I have the gp2x MK1 revision, it uses recharchables batterys such as 2500mah type batterys. Well I have 4 new duracells 2650mah and the issue with the gp2x handheld is on a fully charge 2 batterys it drains the batterys within like 15-20 minutes of using it. It suppose to last averagely at least 2 hours of running time. But people at this forum http://www.gp32x.com/board/ and google it looks like the gp2x is defective in some way.

My question to you guys is can you guys help me figure out why it is doing so.

My uncle passed away and he use to work in denver/boulder at martin marieta, another company called Ball, and he was a electronics engineer and it just had me thinking he could have tested all the componments transisters, ressiters, capacitors, etc to determine whats the problem right? I do know basics electronics such as soldering and basic reading on printed circuit boards such as looking for the little number next to a part such as next to a capaciter it'll say c176, resister might say r54 etc.

Thanks guys...
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you know one of the four nicad's isn't bad? If one or more is only taking a partial charge, there you go. You need to check the batteries when the unit shut off/down due to a low charge. If three batteries read say 1.2 and one reads say .7vdc, this would indicate a bad battery. 4 batteries equals 6vdc, I would assume the game would shut down when approaching 5dvc or less. It's worth a try before condemning the game.
tgg

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this message at another forum and the part I need help with is how do I go about measuring resistance with a multimeter I do have a radio shack brand but how do i set it up and what am i'm looking for anyways?

"No need to dismantle the GP2X.

This cleaner, it sounds like the right stuff. So if you have any electronics tip cleaners (or Q-Tips will work...) just spray the contacts lightly, and rub off the cleaner (give it a few seconds to work).

Inspect the terminals to verify that they are polished shiney and have no residue from the cleaner / bits of fluff from the Q-Tip.

I'd also check that the Batteries do in fact contact the terminals well.
Some varieties of NiMH cells don't quite conform to the AA size (actually most batteries vary....widely), my Sanyo NiMH don't fit in several other devices...

(Sanyo Model HR-3U 2500mAh and some 2700mAh)
Also a Sanyo branded Quick-Charger.
See:
http://www.energy.sanyo.com.sg/nimh.asp

Also if you have a Multi-meter, check that the contacts have low resistance.

NiMH also has a fairly quick discharge rate; It looses about 1-3% of charge PER DAY.

So if you have a set of fully charged 'fresh' batteries, clean terminals with good electrical contact and decent NiMH batteries AND your GP2X still only lasts 30 Mins...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия