electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Tv/vcr acts like it's ejecting a tape

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lc_from_pa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Tv/vcr acts like it's ejecting a tape Reply with quote

My brother gave my wife and I a 19" Emerson tv/vcr combo to use in our bedroom. We have three little boys who decided it would be fun to stuff as many dvd's into the vcr slot as possible. I cleaned out the dvd's but when we turn on the tv, there is the vcr status display and the whirring noise as if there was a tape in it and it was trying to eject it. After about 10-15 seconds the entire unit shuts off...everytime. I've tried leaving the unit unplugged, looking inside for anything else...nothing. Not that the unit is highly prized, but my wife and I like watching some tv before going to bed. The dvd's...um...stimulating entertainment!

Any help on what is causing this would be great, as I've emailed Emerson twice and haven't got a response. I have no clue what I'm looking for inside the vcr...so any responses, please walk me through it...thanks.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A such problem can have many causes. It is common that the lamp or infrared LED that stands upp in the cassette compartment (there is a corresponding recess in the bottom of VHS cassettes) is bad or that any of the phototransistors on each side of the compartments is dirty. Also, there can be problems if strong external light reaches the phototransistors.
Note that you cannot check an IR led by watching any light from it.

Another possibility is that the mode switch of the vcr mechanism is faulty or maladjusted.
Or that there is a mechanical problem - seized mechanisms, slipping rubber belts etc that prevent the loading mechanism from going to a home position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия