electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Convert LD player to VCD/MP3 Player

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cvill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Convert LD player to VCD/MP3 Player Reply with quote

I have an old Sony Laser Disc Player at home. Is there a way to convert it so that I can play VCD or MP3 on it?
Tomi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not a feasible project trying to convert this kind of player to play those new formats.
Laser Disc and those VCD/MP3 are entirely different technology.

Bying a DVD player that supports those formats is definatley easier and cheaper.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping it was worth a shot. I once saw an electronic shop that upgrades Pioneer laser disc players to play VCD and thought maybe there is one for a sony. Thanks any way!
Tomi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen or heard such upgrade myself before.

If the equipment was originally built in such upgrade somehow in mind (for example this as option in more expensive models), then upgrading could be possible for some specific devices. Basicly to play back video CDs the player needs to have a the laser pick-up that can read normal CD data, then some video CD decoding card and then the controlling software on the device needs to be also to start playing the video CDs (meaining that instead of sending the read data through audio DACs to audio out, data is sent through some digital bus to the Video CD decoding hardware). If the device was originally deisgned for something like this in mind, then there is propably a ready made slot where you can put an upgrade card that incudes the video CD decoding hardware (possibly avilable as spare part from some source). This is linke the device had an expansion slot where you can plug a suitable expansion card (almost like adding PC expansion card, but in consumer video world the expansion slots are rare and expansion cards are device brand/model specific).

If the equipment is not originally designed for such expansion in mind, the conversion gets very complicated. If you were one of the engineers that designed the device originally, and you had some generic VCD decoder card around, then I quess this would not be an unfeasable project. If not, then things get harder...
cvill

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, anybody have a schematic diagram of a Sony Laser Disc Player, model MDP-A660K? I know I'm being stubborn, but I really want to know if by changing a chip (decoder?) inside, I can make it play a VCD. Please bear with me.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия