electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Panasonic CT36HX40 keeps blowing PS fuse.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chuck Cintron

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Panasonic CT36HX40 keeps blowing PS fuse. Reply with quote

Hi...I've dabbled in digital electronics as a hobby but not much experience with analog. I just need some guidance as to how I should go about trying to fix this problem, or at least how to talk to the service tech about it:

Our 5 year old 36" Panasonic glass HDTV (CT36HX40) is regularly blowing the small 6.3A fuse that I find right behind the power cord panel, in back. When we found the set 'dead' one day, I replaced the fuse (with a 6A fuse...only one I could find locally) and was happy when the set seemed to work fine.

Now, after about a week, the set is dead again. I'm sure that fuse must have blown again.

So, what about the system could be allowing it to run fine for a few days, then blow the fuse? Should I attempt to troubleshoot, or call in a pro right off the bat? I'm thinking that either a rectifier diode into PS is marginal, or something else is overdrawing the PS, causing it to blow the safety fuse.

Should I just try to put the right 6.3A fuse in, instead of the 6A I bought?

Any thoughts? This darn set weighs 230 pounds, so I can't exactly lug it down to my workbench...

Thanks,
Chuck
minnie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6.3 amp fuse you're replacing is a fast blow. You need to replace it with a 6.3 slow blow.
Frank

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Panasonic CT36HX40 keeps blowing PS fuse. Reply with quote

Chuck Cintron wrote:
Hi...I've dabbled in digital electronics as a hobby but not much experience with analog. I just need some guidance as to how I should go about trying to fix this problem, or at least how to talk to the service tech about it:

Our 5 year old 36" Panasonic glass HDTV (CT36HX40) is regularly blowing the small 6.3A fuse that I find right behind the power cord panel, in back. When we found the set 'dead' one day, I replaced the fuse (with a 6A fuse...only one I could find locally) and was happy when the set seemed to work fine.

Now, after about a week, the set is dead again. I'm sure that fuse must have blown again.

So, what about the system could be allowing it to run fine for a few days, then blow the fuse? Should I attempt to troubleshoot, or call in a pro right off the bat? I'm thinking that either a rectifier diode into PS is marginal, or something else is overdrawing the PS, causing it to blow the safety fuse.

Should I just try to put the right 6.3A fuse in, instead of the 6A I bought?

Any thoughts? This darn set weighs 230 pounds, so I can't exactly lug it down to my workbench...

Thanks,
Chuck

You need to replace with the exact fuse recommended.nothing less,it's marked on the chassis by the fuse and on the fuse itself,don't try to invent.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try to get the 6.3A fuse, but I think something is up with this set...why would the fuse have blown in the first place anyway.

Um, minnie, why would I replace a fast fuse with a slow-blow?

-Chuck
minnie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When power is applied the degaussing circuit fires. In this set, the suggested fix is resolder the degaussing thermistor/replay. It tends to pull at times just a little more than the 6.3 amp fast blow can handle. I've replaced the fast blow with a slow blow in over 30 sets and never been back. You're not compromising the integrity of the circuit by putting a slow blow in just putting in a fuse that is a little more 'tolerable.'
Chuck Cintron

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, thanks for clarifying that, minnie. I took your advice and dropped in a 6.3A slo-blow today...so far so good.

I don't need to worry about the thermistor now, right? Enough headroom with the new fuse now, correct?
minnie

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually don't bother. Run with the slow blow and post back if blows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия