electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Capacitor Replacements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RonWilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Capacitor Replacements Reply with quote

I have an old Bogen audio amp that needs the can type caps replaced in the power supply circuit.
There are two can type caps that are about 1.25 inch in diameter and about 2.5 inch tall. The value is 30uf @ 300 volts. Instead of trying to locate the exact same replacement is there naything wrong with just using a modern smaller cap radial lead cap of the same value. Why are the original caps so much larger? Is there a difference? The third can type cap is a multi value cap. The values are 2 x 20uf @ 450volt and 2 x 10uf @ 300 volt. Can I simply replace this with 4 modern caps of the proper value?
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say 10uf@50 volts. As long as 10uf stays the same, you can go up in voltage. 10uf@100 volts. 200uf@300 volts 200uf@500 volts.
ronwilson

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnie wrote:
Say 10uf@50 volts. As long as 10uf stays the same, you can go up in voltage. 10uf@100 volts. 200uf@300 volts 200uf@500 volts.

Thanks I do know that much about subistuting values. My main concern is that being the over-all size if the caps. The older original caps are much larger in size than a modern radial or axial lead cap. Is there a reason the original caps are as big as they are? I've seen some modern day designed tube amps that use these large can type caps. Is there a reason for this? Why would todays circuit designer use the large size cap when he could just as easily use a much smaller equivlent?
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Physical size of the capacitors are directly related to the "available technology" at the time of manufacturing. There is no other reason. That's why you see the availability of the same value/voltage capacitor at a much smaller size used in newer equipment and for replacement.

At the time the Bogen amp was manufactured, those were more likely the common sizes.

As long as you have the available space & installation room, it is perfectly ok to replace with newer caps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия