electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Toshiba Cinema Series CN32V71.. ANT1/VIDEO switcher trouble
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tommy from Massachusetts

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Toshiba Cinema Series CN32V71.. ANT1/VIDEO switcher trouble Reply with quote

Hello everyone; I am new here. Can anyone help out a middle-aged disabled man here? I think I know the problem, but don't know how to fix it.
The tv is a Toshiba Cinema Series CN32V71, and the picture will go out intermittently. But I have noticed that when you click the ANT/VIDEO switcher button, it will sometimes come back on. I'll bet my shirt that it's a dirty or dusty contact somewhere, because before these problems showed up, there used to be an audible click when you went from ANT/!; VIDEO; ANT/2... But now. that click is not heard. Something tells me that dust might be built up on the switcher somewhere.
The house is meticulous in the sense there is no smoking or heavy dust anywhere.

I'm asking for guidance here because I have a spinal disability and don't know if I should attempt to move the tv out of it's entertainment center and try to remove the back of it to listen for that audible click. If I can maybe locate that switcher, I have a can of compressed air and a can of contact cleaner here too.

Does anyone think I might be probing in the correct way here? And do you happen to know where that switcher could be located so I could maybe spray the contacts clean?

Thanks for reading this and I'd appreciate any help... the wallet is not the fattest one here.. (health problems). Thank you...

Tommy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also... Problem comes whether tv is hot or cold. Not quite as much on cold though...

Pressing the VIDEO/ ANT/1 ANT/2 button and cycling through them a few times will sometimes solve it too. Also cycling the tv off & on a few times will bring back the picture too. So I think I might be getting somewhat close in my guessing.

All I need is someone to let me know if I'm wasting my time, of if I.m moving in the right direction.

I don't mind hauling the tv out but it will kill my spine and back because I have nobody to help me with it. I'm willing to try, but can someone tell me if I am wasting my time or if there's a chance that I might be able to fix it?

Thanks friends very much...

(I couldn't find an "edit" section; so I posted here... sorry..I'm just learning..)
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy,

Certainly don't want to cause any more injury as I know how hard it can be trying to move a big set.

I am not familiar with the set in question but, based on your description, sounds like you are correct of possible dirty contacts(if relay is used) or it might even be a "cold solder" issue? just not sure which one?

A lot of times you have no choice but to get inside the set.--just not sure how practical it is in your situation? Definately do NOT recommend you trying to move the set by yourself.

Perhaps someone familiar with the specific problem might chime in

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you vtech for the reply. Yup, I have a spinal condition and have to be careful. Maybe I can get my nephews.....

I'd bet that it is indeed that relay. Because all these years trouble free, it would be normal to hear a slight audible click when you pushed the button to toggle through the input selections. But now, it doesn't make that click... I think that if there is indeed a relay, that there is dust on the contact.

When the set goes off at random, sometimes a "turn on ..turn off" power button will bring it back to normal; sometimes not though. Other times when it goes out, simply toggling through the input selections will restore the set too.

What I am hoping is that someone can confirm my theory, and maybe tell me what I am looking for inside the set. If I could hear the normal click, I'd "follow the sound" and could find the switcher and/or relay. But I don't get that darn click sound now...

Maybe I'll have to get my nephews here and pull the set out, and have a look inside and see if I can locate a relay-looking thing.
This Toshiba has been flawless since 1999 when we bought it. The way it displays analog is phenominal; really great pic quality considering an analog source.

So I guess I'll have to get in to the ole' Tosh and probe around, lol.. I'll "cross my fingers" and hope for the best !

Many thanks my friend for your reply.. Nice forum here; I found it yesterday while googling "Toshiba switcher / video".. I don't know who owns / maintains it, but I thank them for having it here.

Tommy
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Tech Bulletin Reply with quote

Product:
Product Safety Precautions:
Product Safety Precautions are described in the Toshiba service manual(s) pertaining to the model(s) covered in this bulletin. All safety
precautions and checks shall be complied with before returning the equipment to the customer. Servicers who defeat safety features or fail to
perform safety checks may be liable for any resulting damages and may expose themselves and others to possible injury.
Models:
Ref. No.:
1999 TOSHIBA AMERICA CONSUMER PRODUCTS, INC.
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
TV 90899
TV9909
Date: 10/4/99
Application: The information within this bulletin should only be used if you encounter the
symptom(s) listed.
Symptoms:
Parts Required:
Corrective Action:
Subject: Picture Flash
On some cable systems, the television loses sync every 2.5 seconds resulting
in a flashing picture. Off-air broadcast signals and other inputs work properly.
Qty. Description Part #
1 470K W 1/6 W Resistor 24366474
1 820K W 1/6 W Resistor 24366824
1 0.022 μF 50V Capacitor 24591223
1. Add an 820K ohm, 1/6W resistor between pin 41 of QV01 and Ground.
2. Add a 470K ohm, 1/6W resistor between pin 31 of QV01 and Ground.
CN36Z71 Only
3. Change CV41 from a 0.47μF capacitor to a 0.022μF capacitor.
42 41 40 39 38 37 36 35 34 33 32 31 30 29
Add 820K W
Add 470K W
CV31
(CN36Z71 Only) CV41
Replace CV41 with
a 0.022 F
QV01
MTV-V
Y IN
CZ32V51 CZ27V51 CL32T31 CZ36V51 CZ36T31
CE27T11 CE32T11 CE36T11 CL29V51 CL34T31
CZ32V61 CZ36V61 CN32V71 CN27V71 CN36V51
CL34V61 CN36Z71
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:49 pm    Post subject: Hope that helps you Reply with quote

Hope this solves your problem, straight from Toshiba website
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Next Bulletin Reply with quote

Product:
Product Safety Precautions are described in the Toshiba service manual(s) pertaining to the model(s) covered in this bulletin. All safety
precautions and checks shall be complied with before returning the equipment to the customer. Servicers who defeat safety features or fail to
perform safety checks may be liable for any resulting damages and may expose themselves and others to possible injury.
Models:
Ref. No.:
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
TV 100599
TV 9910
Date: 10/05/99
Application: The information within this bulletin should only be used if you encounter the
symptom(s) listed.
Symptoms: The left and right arrow keys on the remote do not work after replacing or
initializing the EEPROM (location number QA02).
Corrective Action:
Subject: Option Settings
CN27V71
1. Enter the Design Mode as explained on page 11 of the service manual
(file number 020-9918).
2. Using the chart below and the instructions on page 11 of the service
manual, adjust OPT1 and OPT0 for the proper value.
3. For future reference, replace Table 3 on page 17 of the service manual
with the chart below.
Item Name of Adjustment CN27V71 CN32V71
OPT 0 Option Setting 0 0AH 00H
OPT 1 Option Setting 1 00H 00H
CN32V71
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Field service tip Reply with quote

Product:
Models:
Ref. No.:
TECHNICAL BULLETIN
TV 100599
TV 9910
Date: 10/05/99
symptom(s) listed.
Symptoms: The left and right arrow keys on the remote do not work after replacing or
initializing the EEPROM (location number QA02).
Corrective Action:
Subject: Option Settings
CN27V71
1. Enter the Design Mode as explained on page 11 of the service manual
(file number 020-9918).
2. Using the chart below and the instructions on page 11 of the service
manual, adjust OPT1 and OPT0 for the proper value.
3. For future reference, replace Table 3 on page 17 of the service manual
with the chart below.
Item Name of Adjustment CN27V71 CN32V71
OPT 0 Option Setting 0 0AH 00H
OPT 1 Option Setting 1 00H 00H
CN32V71
Gravityboots

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject: Never bet the farm Reply with quote

Tommy, Never bet the farm without reading the fine print LOL
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the valid bulletins but if you read his comments, none of the bulletins address his specific problem! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия