electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Fuses in electrical cable for laptop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrazoru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Fuses in electrical cable for laptop Reply with quote

I have a power cord plug to my laptop with a Malaysian style plug. This plug has a 3Amp fuse built in to it. I have an identical plug that I would like to use too so that i can leave it at the office. The only difference is that this other plug has a 13Amp fuse in it. (see image for both plugs)

I would assume that if i changed the fuse, they would both be identical?

Also, can i still use the 2nd plug w/ 13Amp fuse without any problems...although i'm sure if there were a surge larger than 3amps, that it wouldn't protect my device.
vtech

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, it is never a good idea to override with a higher amp fuse as it translates to little or no protection if/when there is a short on the line.

Jumping from 3A to 13A is like not having any fuse protection in this case
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most likely, the laptop charger also has an internal fuse at the power input.

Mains plugs according to UK standards use to have an incorporated fuse, due to the fact that there are no group fuses in the house installations according to UK practice. The plugs are always rated at 13 A, but the rating of the installed fuse depends also on the connected equipment, cross section area of the cable and so on.

However, why not change the 13 A fuse in the other power cable to a 3 A fuse? Those fuses are always readily available in countries using UK style mains plugs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия