electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
no power to hdtv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mrbagrot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: no power to hdtv Reply with quote

hi. this is my first post. i hope someone can help. i have a 2 year old samsung hdtv. model tx-3096whf. this morning i turned the tv off. it wouldn't come back on. with or without the remote. i didn't see any sort of lights on in the back through the vents. i tried leaving it unplugged for about 15 minutes, hoping it would reset. i tried a different outlet...nothing...no power up. i did hear a ticking noise coming from the backwhen plugged in. any clues as to why? things i can try? i know some of you will recommend taking it in for service. obviously, not being a t.v. tech, i will have to do so, but...just curious...if it's a fuse that can be replaced...i will risk that myself. being my main display, i would like to get this fixed. i'm watching tv on my samsung lcd monitor right now, and i also have a benq 6200 hd projector, but i'd rather not chew up hours on my projector to watch tv. thanks in advance.
walter58

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:38 am    Post subject: Defective HDTV Reply with quote

Hello,

It is sad to say, but I think you'll have to take your tv to a technician...
When you power the set, and you hear a tickking sound, you can be shure that there is a short circuit inside.
When the power supply, which is protected against overload and short circuit,encounters a problem, it goes in protection mode.
So,the power supply tries to come "high" and detects that there is an overload,and immediatly shuts down,tries again, and that is the ticking sound you hear. When the fault is serious,the ticking goes faster.
Problems can be : horizontal output defect, horizontal flyback transformer defect,or vertical deflection output stage defect.
You need experience to cure such faults... Embarassed
mrbagrot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:50 am    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

thanks, walter58 for your advice. sounds like you know your stuff! misfortunately, this is the diagnosis i feared and was hoping to not hear. what can i expect to pay for such repairs? i am disappointed. i was led to believe that samsung made excellent products. to have my tv commit suicide in 2 short years is a bit of a shock. especially when i've seen 40 year old tv's that are still functioning. i'm also a bit surprised that it took weeks to get a reply from this forum......
mrbagrot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 7:56 am    Post subject: forewarned is forearmed Reply with quote

thanks again walter58, i just realized that with your advice i will probably save money. i'm sure the tv repair business is much like any other...there are sharks out there that will eat you alive if they think you're a boob. when i take it in, and tell them that i suspect it may be a short or an overload of some nature, they may be inclined to think i know a little more than i let on.....and charge a more reasonable price.
walter58

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 8:41 am    Post subject: your hdtv Reply with quote

hello again,

you seem to be a smart person ! Indead ,repair and service cost the client a lot of money, and you have no control over what is done to repair your tv!
But nevertheless, there are still honest people who will repair your tv at a good price,but better take it to a service center which is no giant,and make sure that this firm doesn't have a lot of marks to service,otherwise it could take a very long time and will cost a lot; since I don't know exactly what's wrong, I would say that it could cost at least 100 €(We count in euros here in Belgium).The defects I repaired in Samsung tv's were always minor defects (I mean no LOPTR output transformer in the horizontal output defective(these cost money!))
Samsung is a very good product,which I have repaired many times without great problems; of course you need some luck with any product,since electronics are never reliable!
So, in your case, try to let it be fixed,succes !

What this forum concerns, I also was and still am disapointed, it is to big to get replies on your questions,and people can't get enough to the point to make it clear for responders to answer their questions, so the result you get is quite normal... Smile

So success !
Walter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия