electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sourcing replacement capacitors in the UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g0rak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Sourcing replacement capacitors in the UK? Reply with quote

Hi there,

Does anyone know a good place to source high-grade (e.g. metal foil) polypropylene capacitors in the UK?

In particular I'm looking for 1uF and 2.2uF values at 630V but most places do not stock polyporpylene's up to this value. I've heard WIMA's MKP10 or FKP1 series would be ideal but cannot find stockists for them that go up to 1uF.

I've tried Maplin, RS, Charles Hyde, an extensive Google search and phoning round many local TV repair companies all to no avail.

Any responses welcome!

Thanks, Si
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just may have to resort to outside UK if/when looking for specific components. May want to change your search to something like,orange dip capacitor or orange drop capacitor

Sometimes it is better to find a manufacture of the cap & find the closest distributor--sometimes ebay may be the only viable place. you probably have a better chance with vintage radio people or even musical instrument peeps.

Some esoteric folks may have what you need but more likely expensive.

Some links which you may have found already
http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/claritycap.html
http://stores.ebay.com/JustRadios-Capacitors-and-Resistors
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/oldradioparts/capacitor1.htm
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried Farnell, www.farnellinone.com ?

Another possibility for larger polypropylene capacitors is to not look at the catalog pages for "electronics" capacitors but check out the larger types for electric power uses (PFC for fluorescent tube fittings, starting capacitors for induction motors etc). Although they don't fit in well on a PCB, they have good electrical properties. Usually, they have 6,3 mm blade connectors and a M8 bolt for fastening.
g0rak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farnell online turned out to be the supplier of choice. I wasn't quite able to find all the values I wanted (substituted a 2.2uF for 1.5uF) but the TV actually had a 1uF soldered in the 2.2uF place anyway so this should be okay. There was no separate category for "metal-foil" polyprops so I had to do a lot of data sheet checking to find suitable components. Luckily there is a data sheet associated with each product on the Farnell web site so this was made as easy as possible.
There was a minimum order of £20+VAT so I ordered some solder and other stuff + some spare caps in case anything goes wrong.

Thanks for all your help.

Simon
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия