electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Tracking problems ? Sony SLV-998 VCR

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gary777

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Tracking problems ? Sony SLV-998 VCR Reply with quote

My 998 recordes and plays back perfect. However, recently, when I try to play back a tape recorded from the 998 on other vcr's it will not track. if I manually track and get the picture to look good then the sound is distorted, and vice versa.

Also, now when I try to play a tape recorded from other vcr's on the 998 same problem, will not track audio and video in sync.

I cleaned the ACE head and tape path. Comments please.

Thanks gary
vtech

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a typical alignment issue with your unit OR it may simply be too much wear. Easy to determine by a VCR tech or someone with at least some experience --not something for an average consumer to try.
gary777

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vtech. I am familar with electronics and have test equipment and kinda figured the same thing, but don't have a service manual, I have not done an alignment on of these in years, and that was an alignment after replacing the vidio heads. what circuit will I be looking for to do a alignment. or what componet would have too much wear.

Thanks Gary
vtech

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, then you don't need to have the exact service manual.

Basically , you need a known good tape(SP speed--preferably, you should use an alignment tape but a new movie tape will usually suffice). Defeat auto tracking & look at the RF envelope with the scope & maximize it. that's it!

(may have to hunt for the test point but most sony's had some sort of an open plug/connector on the main board that denoted it)

If you have done any, you should have no problem doing that.

By wear I meant mainly the video head itself that could possibly cause the same symptoms.

Btw, (once you maximize the video RF, you'll be maximizing HIFI audio automatically)
gary777

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vtech, I do have a few other Sony slv-900 series service manuals to look at.

I'll post how I made out. You could be right though about the heads being worn, there are many , many hours on this unit.

Thanks again, Gary
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия