electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
DVD tray not working
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi V,

Sadly, I have to confirm your understanding of the scenario. Broken up DVD pic at idle and TV (via antenna) works fine. Also, you are saying that if the "signal process" is defective, then the tray won't open (these issues are tied together)?

Should I fire it up and start banging (lightly) on boards to see if there is loose part or cracked board? Can I assume that the DVD assy does not have its own power supply?
vtech

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the schematic & sure enough, it is not inclusive with it's electronics(it is a seperate board that sits on the top of mech)

To answer your question; yes, if there is a signal process issue at the start up(broken/pixlated picture), it can easily inhibit any further operation such as loading/reading etc.
If you are going to try pressing against the board, it would have to be the one on top of the dvd mechanism..although not sure if it can be accessed or if you could do much with it anyway?
Either case, while the mechanism is usually the first item that fails, having a broken up video at start up is always in the signal board, wheter the mech is 100% healthy? can never be certain.

Not to sound discouraging, but you can see how it may not be worth the hassle for the average consumer after all said & done.
Larbo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I have to go to the in-laws (in their 90's!) to setup their new computer. I will have another go at it tomorrow and I will get back on this. Yes, diminishing return is just over the horizon. When I last opened it up, I had removed the DVD assy and disconnected that signal board (2 connectors) for access to the mechanism, so I know that it was not a connector connectivity issue. I will reinspect the board again carefully and then fire it up and bang lightly and dielectrically.

Is there a place on the main board that I should look at, too?
minnie

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still thinking the dvd could be bad. Something could be wrong with the optics and it's only deciphering the signal.

http://www.partstore.com/PartSearch.aspx?PartNumber=72783471&x=22&y=16

It's only $39 here.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

minnie wrote:
I'm still thinking the dvd could be bad. Something could be wrong with the optics and it's only deciphering the signal.

http://www.partstore.com/PartSearch.aspx?PartNumber=72783471&x=22&y=16

It's only $39 here.

According to him, the main toshibe logo/menu comes up distorted at turn-on regardless'--may be i'm missing something here?
The logo info is automatically retrieved & read back from the memory & sent via the mpeg decoder to be displayed on the screen. Laser only reads the information from the disc.
On the other hand if/when there is a disc inside & for whatever reason it is not able to read the content, you can end up with anything from a distorted picture, error msg, a blank screen or simply a lockup. In that case, yes it may be a mechanism/laser issue(provided disc is not faulty)
vtech

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larbo wrote:
Hmmm. I have to go to the in-laws (in their 90's!) to setup their new computer. I will have another go at it tomorrow and I will get back on this. Yes, diminishing return is just over the horizon. When I last opened it up, I had removed the DVD assy and disconnected that signal board (2 connectors) for access to the mechanism, so I know that it was not a connector connectivity issue. I will reinspect the board again carefully and then fire it up and bang lightly and dielectrically.

Is there a place on the main board that I should look at, too?

First try to find out exactly what you have; a broken logo while attempting to read a disc or it appears messed up regardless of any media?
Larbo

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see. Does the fact that the logo is broken up with no disc in the tray answer your query??
vtech

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larbo wrote:
Let's see. Does the fact that the logo is broken up with no disc in the tray answer your query??

..even if you were to power down & back up again, yes it is definitely a signal board problem.

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
yes it is definitely a signal board problem

Specifically, the board on the DVD assy? If that is the case, is that board available separately since the number I gave is just for the mechanism part??
vtech

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

72783495 is the listed number in service manual. (part's ref number PCB130)
How much or if it's avail?
Sometimes the number will be superceeded to something els but any tosh supplier ought to be able to tell you that.

One last thing that should always be considered before gambling in today's cheap crap market;
Regardless of the parts pricing, if the unit was seeing heavy DVD use prior to the defect, there is no way to determine the mechanism's condition as it may well be on it's way to failure next.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия