electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony Trinitron with red cast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JunkHunter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Sony Trinitron with red cast Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a Sony Trinitron (kvt29sz8), found dumped on the street. It has a slight red cast. Picture is otherwise good: contrast, brightness range, sharpness - all good.
Any ideas? BTW, no remote.
Old bassid

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:41 am    Post subject: red caste Reply with quote

Poisoned athodes- use tube rejuvenator to refresh- have to know exactly what doing- don't try if don't. Might be able to reduce red drive preset enoughto compensate. then again could be s/c tube- need experience to identify/fix- then again if set cost you nothing- what have you to lose- except profit from on selling!. B/r from an old Bassid.
JunkHunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: red caste Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, bassid. The red is quite subtle - mainly shows in shadow, so perhaps reducing the "red drive preset" will be enough. Could I do that myself (no tools, and only basic knowledge of electronics)?
Old Bassid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Red caste Reply with quote

Is the red flaring- or just a red tinge to the pic- turn down color to b/w to check- if red caste try red red preset on neckboard- mark pos & turn watching pic- adj with b & g presets to get best b/w pic- if flaring, try turn down screen control slightly- no help means tube needs rejuvenate- as you are beginner suggest you find friendly tv guy. B/r from Old Bassid.
JunkHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Red caste Reply with quote

Thanks, bassid. Will try what you suggest, and post results.
JunkHunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Red caste Reply with quote

Hi bassid,
The neck-board has 2 pots: one is sticking out of a component called 'H Stat' and another, smaller, is in an area of the board called 'g2'. On a second board - mounted nearby - I found a small pot in an area called 'H Trap.' Are any of these involved with color adjustment? (To be on the safe side, I haven't touched anything yet.)
BTW: The only other pots I saw were on the main board - 2, both in a difficult to reach area, close to power supply components.
Old Bassid

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Sony red tinge in pic Reply with quote

The advice I gave is how it used to be several years ago on most tvs up to then- since then the settings are controlled by micros- on your model BG1S chassis the original remote is needed to change settings- but the most likely thing is a contaminated pic tube- care & knowhow is needed to safely strip- but could also be a resistor gone hi- check around output transistors on neckboard- if I had tv in front of me I would know what was wrong- hard from a distance.
JunkHunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 4:35 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Along the lines you mention, I googled "enter service mode sony", and found some general info/warnings about 'service mode' on a sony. I know someone with a sony remote (different model) - might work. In any case, thanks for taking time to give a few pointers. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия