electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Kustom Amplifier, need help with troubleshooting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimarino

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Kustom Amplifier, need help with troubleshooting Reply with quote

Hello,
I´m new to this forum and you could say that im new to electronics as well. So please be gentle! Wink

Basically i need help troubleshooting a KPM 7250 (old model) kustom PA amplifier. Even if you don´t know the exakt model, it´s just very basic electronic stuff.

In the master section it has a pot which says "tape in/aux", which probably affects the mono aux in and the stereo phono input (tape in)

The problem is that the tape in/aux pot doesnt affect the aux at all, which is always on full, and you can only hear a tiny bit of the "tape in" signal when the pot is turned to 0, when i turn it towards 10 the signal disappears.

I have checked for loose cables and any "obvious" problems and everything seemed to be fine. So, my question is then where do I start looking at?

More info:
* Everything else is working as it should, all other inputs and the master section in general.
* I don´t think its either the resistors or capacitors since it should be more or less dead then. Am i right?
* The pot output goes to an IC (4556? maybe) which i believe might be the ugly one in this case.

.. But then since i don´t want to order another IC and change it without being shure that it is problem. How do I check it´s working properly with a basic multimeter?

Thanks alot in beforehand

Regards /Dimarino
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KPM7250 is still a valid model number but perhaps yours is slightly different?
There is no "aux/line in" pot from what I can see in the manual
http://www.kustom.com/Content/20082/KPM7250T_Owners_Manual_27DEC04_1.pdf

You are correct, while possible, chances of it being a resistor or capacitor is unlikely. Either way, you may infact have a problem with the IC or even the mentioned pot but without experience and just a meter there isn't a whole lot you can do? Other than maybe checking for continuity on the Pot or possibly rail voltages on the IC which is usually a good indicator of it's health--
More than likely there are more of the same Ic's used elsewhere in the unit...Are you good at soldering or have a soldering iron? Worst case, you can always try swapping it with anothere one.

I always liked the Kustom products & used to play thru a "tuck& roll" guitar amp during my band days.
Dimarino

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for the answer,

You´re right, the one in their website doesn´t have that function because it has built in effects. This is the old one i guess.

I have checked the pot and it´s working properly. One thing was that it seemed like 2 of the solderpoints on the pot legs had contact, it was like a small bridge of solder between them. I took a knife and scraped away the solder.
Im thinking maybe thats what made the IC go bad. I don´t know.

I´m a very good friend of my soldering iron so that´s not going to be any problem. My problem is that i really don´t know how to measure or check IC´s and Capacitors to see if they´re working or not.

Is it possible to check if the IC is working with the multi meter?
I´ve checked the voltages in the legs when the whole thing is turned on and playing, but I really don´t know what im looking for. One leg says -15 volts, the rest is 0. I suppose that´s the feeding voltage, because it´s the same on all three IC´s.
But then i´m stuck. Any ideas?
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without having the unit , it is rather hard to say but, as i said earlier, just about the only thing you can do with a meter is to measure for the supply voltages ...did you not say a 45xx was the IC? ---if that is the case, you need
to have BOTH plus AND minuse voltages on pins 4 and 8. --perhaps you have a different IC all together?

Google the datasheet for the IC to see exactly......those series can not work with a single supply!. ---the bit about the solder bridge across the pot can not cause the ic to go bad.
Dimarino

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved!! Very Happy

It was the IC that had gone bad. I swapped them and then the pot started working just as it should.
The IC is a 4558D if anyone is interested.
It would be interesting to know what made the IC go bad, maybe i could fix the source of the problem so that it doesnt occur again, since it´s a customers amp.
I didnt think that IC´s usually go bad, but maybe they do?

Thanks for your support vtech!
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dimarino wrote:
Problem solved!! Very Happy

It was the IC that had gone bad. I swapped them and then the pot started working just as it should.
The IC is a 4558D if anyone is interested.
It would be interesting to know what made the IC go bad, maybe i could fix the source of the problem so that it doesnt occur again, since it´s a customers amp.
I didnt think that IC´s usually go bad, but maybe they do?

Thanks for your support vtech!

Yay. Good job Very Happy
Yes the 4558 failure can be caused by many things. I have seen them simply latch for no real reason, sometimes it is caused by too much static builup.
ie, someone walking over a carpet decides to plug in to one of the inputs & boom it takes it.
either way, it is very cheap & not a bad idea to have some handy
...now if you ever decide to improv the signal/noise ratio, you can use a differnet series but that is another subject...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия