electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
reducing amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronx

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: reducing amps Reply with quote

I have some electronics knowledge, but not dealing with large amounts of current.

I have a device I want to put into a car that runs on the battery (12V 70ish amps) But i olny want to give the device 20 amps at 12V

So what do i need to reduce the amps from 70 to 20?

Thanks in advance.

-RonX
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what for kind of a device is it? What determines its current consumption? Now, when it draws 70 A at 12 V, this means a power consumption of 840 W, can the device fulfill its duty when it is not allowed to consume more than 240 W ?
PackratKing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.........curve ball..........Isn't the keyword here "draw"....?

Doesn't a device hooked to any proper voltage source, only draw what [ current ] it needs to operate at peak efficiency ?

hooking up a source that is overvoltage would be the reason something would fry...?

Or do I need to go back to my textbooks ?
Phils

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old post but it's a simple question with a simple answer so it should be unneccessary to leave it unanswered.

Wether the secret device is an amplifier or a dc/ac converter doesn't matter, they behave in the same way. They only draw what you command them to, up to a maximum of 70 Amps.
Granted, they also draw a base current, something like an Amp or two at most.

So unless you turn the volume to full, or hook up a microwave to the dc/ac converter or whatever, you should be fine on your 20 Amp fused circuit. Like torbjorn says: you can draw up to 240 Watts of power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия