electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
changing microfarad values in replacing capacitors in an amp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
haskellbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: changing microfarad values in replacing capacitors in an amp Reply with quote

I want to replace the electrolytic capacitors on a circuit board for the power amplifier section of an old Heathkit AR-15, but I can't find 250mfd, 25v electrolytics anymore. The closest value I can find is 220 mfd.

This capacitor seems to be a filter, as itisolates the input, the Base, of the first transistor in the power amp circuit, which receives the signal from the pre-amp, from ground.

is that 30 mfd difference going to cause problems?

Thanks for da help.
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this application, (coupling) it is not going to make a difference as 250 MFD has not been a common value for some time & not readily available at corner parts house though still avail thru places like Mouser. Also take in to account the 10~15% value tolerance common with electrolytics in general.

However, as a rule in most applications with electrolytics, best practice is to choose the next higher value if unable to find the original--in this case 330MFD 25Volts(higher voltage is also OK) is common & easy to find.
haskellbob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. That was very helpful -
although I haven't been able to find a 250 mfd even at Mouser...
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haskellbob wrote:
Thanks. That was very helpful -
although I haven't been able to find a 250 mfd even at Mouser...

..I can see many at their site ... scroll down
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most older electrolytic caps have a very wide tolerance range - typically -10, +50 % or -20, +80 % for old parts from the 60's or 70's, while the manufacturers use to state a symmetrical tolerance range - for example ± 20 % today.

So if you have some caps marked 220, 250 and 330 uF, their tolerance range will surely overlap each other.

In most applications, it does not harm if the caps have a larger value than the original ones, that gives a better margin for capacitance loss due to aging. If i had to repair some older equipment with 250 uF caps, i would probably replace them with 330 uF.
haskellbob

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your help and for the information.

Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия