electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
plugged in the 110V DVD player into 220V

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hari

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: plugged in the 110V DVD player into 220V Reply with quote

I plugged in the US 110V DVD player into 220V socket using an adapter. AFter which the device is not reacting to power supply. i.e after I plug in to 110V socket, it does not get power. Looks like I fried some components. Can we repair this device cheaply?
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, that depends on how its power supply is designed and which parts have got damaged.

Most likely, the big electrolytic filter capacitor after the mains rectifier will need to be replaced, also some mains rectifier diodes, any overvoltage suppressor (varistor / VDR) across the mains input, mains fuse and similar components can be damaged.
Possibly also the switching transistor of the power supply.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably you blew the switch-mode transistor in the power supply, it would have also damaged the drive chip on the primary side....

... the way these things work they rectifiy the mains/line voltage, 220v ac would have produced 220ac x 1.4 = 308V dc where as a 120V ac supply would only produce 168V dc across the main smoothing capacitor - as the other post mentioned this capacitor would have suffered as well.

After rectification this dc voltage is switched off and on around 22,000 or 22kHz per second this is fed to a high frequency isolating transformer where the voltage is stepped down as per circuit requirement.

There are lethal voltages around these types of power supplies so beware. Its the Volts that jolt and the mills that kill - current is usually measured in Amps or milliampere . Just 20 mills, 20mA or 0.02A across the heart is enough to kill.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия