electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
speaker system for my computer cutting out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhedda

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: speaker system for my computer cutting out... Reply with quote

when I turn it past a certain volume - goes completely silent until I lower volume again. Is this repairable?
thanks
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Speaker system Reply with quote

If you're positive it's the speaker system itself that's defective ...
Trash 'em!
New systems start under $10.00
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be a problem with the soundcard as well.

HtH
[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Re:Re: Speaker system Reply with quote

You can test your speaker system by using a CD player, or any item with a matching headphone jack as a source.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were over 50 bucks at CCity (subwoofer included)
seemed like something repairable, after all there not completely dead if their played at a low level, but then again, I bought them for volume.
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Do this test Reply with quote

The problem could be with the speaker system OR the sound card in the computer. To prove which is at fault:
Either hook your speaker system to a CD player ... if works O.K. sound card in computer most likely at fault. OR
Borrow somebody's KNOWN GOOD speaker system and try THEM on YOUR computer.
Depending on who you took them to, LABOR alone could put repair cost at or above $50.00
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Do this test Reply with quote

Forgot to mention: Keep CD player's volume quite low to keep from exceeding input level rating of your speaker system. (or if CD player has "Line Out" jack use it).

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
I should be clearer
Yes, it is the speaker system, I've played headphones and other speakers thru the jack. Also if the repair was not too complex, I could likely perform it. just need a guess on what the name of the part which could be causing the problem is.
thanks again
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Continuing onward ... Reply with quote

First I'll make the assumption that this speaker system has worked successfully with THIS computer in the past. How old is speaker system? Did it start cutting out little by little or one day was working fine, next day not? From NO volume to a "certain level," is audio normal?
Assuming one (or more) years old, audio IS normal to a "certain level" and got worse slowly (i.e., may have cut out at lower and lower volume control settings) ... SOME possiblilities: 1) Dirty/loose volume control; 2) Bad solder joint(s) anywhere in unit; 3) Bad electrolytic capacitor(s). If you have an ESR meter (assuming no low resistance parallels any lytic) you could quickly check 'em in-circuit.
If started cutting out all of a sudden and/or audio bad below a "certain level" it may have a blown part. (I have no idea what you have in the way of ability / equipment / tools).
Any item CAN be repaired, it's just a matter of how much time, effort and money you want to throw into it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

**First I'll make the assumption that this speaker system has worked successfully with THIS computer in the past.

Yes

**How old is speaker system?

7 months

**Did it start cutting out little by little or one day was working fine, next day not?

next day not play

**From NO volume to a "certain level," is audio normal?

yes

**If started cutting out all of a sudden and/or audio bad below a "certain level" it may have a blown part.

I think such may be the case

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия