electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Kenwood Receiver problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guest760

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:45 am    Post subject: Kenwood Receiver problem Reply with quote

I have a Kenwood KR-A5040 AM/FM Stereo Receiver. It's an older model but still looks great, and despite this issue works good. The problem is the right channel on both the A & B speaker ports has some sort of issue. What happens is any speaker that is plugged into the right channel on either the a or b port plays lower than the other, and often if your playing at a louder volume you'll hear some crackling and the speaker will turn off entirely, I have to play around with the balance knob to get it going again.

I know the speakers are not the problem because when I switch speakers the problem them shifts to the other, and the speakers themselves work fine when testing on another receiver.

What do you think the problem could be? And is this something repairable possibly?
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Kenwood Receiver problem Reply with quote

Guest760 wrote:
I have a Kenwood KR-A5040 AM/FM Stereo Receiver. It's an older model but still looks great, and despite this issue works good. The problem is the right channel on both the A & B speaker ports has some sort of issue. What happens is any speaker that is plugged into the right channel on either the a or b port plays lower than the other, and often if your playing at a louder volume you'll hear some crackling and the speaker will turn off entirely, I have to play around with the balance knob to get it going again.

I know the speakers are not the problem because when I switch speakers the problem them shifts to the other, and the speakers themselves work fine when testing on another receiver.

What do you think the problem could be? And is this something repairable possibly?

While it may be a simple defect, it could be anything in the preamp to the final stage such as emitter resistors(if used) or perhaps dried electrolytics? No way to determine without some measurement/test equipment--- more likely uneconomical
Guest760

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vtech. I was starting to think it probably would be uneconomical to repair this as it was built in 1992. Great receiver until this problem happened though, excellent sound. So it's disappointing.

I'm guessing though the repair bill would probably be more than what a new receiver with better technology would cost.
kenray

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: kenwoodreciever Reply with quote

You may also want to try cleaning the volume control pot if it has one.
Guest760

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi kenray, what exactly is the volume control pot? Are you speaking of the knob that actually controls the volume? If so it definitely has that.
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..did not know it had a mechanical volume control. As kenray suggested, try cleaning it with a cleaning spray. like cramoline or similar --may infact be the only problem. if it is a detent type, it may be more difficult.

"Spring Cleaning Those Noisy Controls
Unlike automobiles, most solid-state electronics--receivers, amps, and preamps--function beautifully for years with little or no attention. But sooner or later, you may notice some of the controls on your receiver or preamp will become noisy or "staticy" when you rotate them. The volume control is the big culprit but it’s common enough for balance and tone controls to get noisy as well. Selector switches or pushbuttons may become intermittent from time to time. This condition may show up in as few as two or three years and it’s commonplace in components that are five years old. After 10 years or more, it’s unusual to find any electronic device with controls that are free of noise or static.

It’s mostly a result of oxidation of the internal metal moving parts within the potentiometer or switch, but dust certainly gums things up as well. You needn’t think these parts are wearing out. They’re not. They just need cleaning and de-oxidizing. And what better time than the advent of Spring to clean those controls? There are special sprays intended for exactly these chores. The contact cleaners I’ve found effective include ProGold GxL and Cramolin Special Spray, both from Caig Laboratories (www.caig.com), and Stabilant 22. Another similar product is Tweak. I’ve tried RadioShack’s TV Tuner and Control Cleaner, but I’ve found its cleaning effect is very short-lived, whereas the other cleaners will keep controls noise-free for years before you have to do them again.

The trick is to get at the noisy control. You have to disconnect your receiver or preamp and remove the bottom plate and perhaps the metal enclosure. These sprays come with a tiny tube that let you insert the end in any opening in the offending control. A quick spritz is sufficient. Do it while you rotate the control back and forth. Some selector switches may have a mechanical link from the front panel to an actual switch mechanism elsewhere inside the preamp or receiver. Just follow the link and spray briefly into the mechanism while you operate the switch. That’s it."
Guest760

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again vtech, I'll give it a try. I'd love to get another year or two out of this receiver if possible.
faxcopy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: KR A 5040 Reply with quote

Try transitioning or cleaning the 4ohm 8ohm slide switch at rear left side and adjust to your speaker resistance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : ïúòåøåñòâèÿ