electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony TA-AV501 receiver/Amplifier problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tytanium

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Sony TA-AV501 receiver/Amplifier problem Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Hopefully someone here can shed some light on a problem that i am having with a Sony TA-AV501 receiver/Amplifier. The problem that is occurring is that i am getting no sound output through my connected speakers(they work fine when tested on a different receiver).There is a speaker A and Speaker B selector switch and every possible configuration that i have tried fails to produce a positive result.I have looked everywhere online for a service manual as well as any possible hints that might point to what is causing the problem and I have been unsuccessful.I am new when it comes to repairing this type of equipment so i am not sure what to check in order to diagnose the problem.I love tinkering and have repaired other electronics,I am confident in my soldering capabilities,etc.Audio equipment is an area that i am not fluent in though and that i only know the basics of when it comes to functionality. So far I have 2 guesses

1.maybe a fuse is blown

2.the amplifier portion of the circuitry is in need of a repair.

If indeed it is a fuse, i could replace that without breaking a sweat but i am unsure about whether or not a blown fuse would affect the entire receiver(not turning on/no power at all) or just the amplifier portion of the circuit in order to protect the speakers or anything else connected to it from being damaged,etc.This unit does indeed turn on currently and all of the buttons/illumination work as well.I thought maybe it was stuck on mute or something else but i used a universal remote with the code to check it(since the original remote is missing in action) and still no sound.I have opened the unit up and checked all of the wires/connections and they are all solid.I have looked for any obvious problems like burnt/exploded components and didn't see any but have not physically checked them with any instruments because i don't know exactly where to start so that is as far as i have gone at this point.I hope that i have provided enough information to outline the situation.

Thanks,

-Ty
vtech

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In looking at the block diagram, there is no fuse protection for speaker(only a relay protection).
several possibilities;
Can you hear the typical speaker relay click shortly after powering up?
If so, can you hear anything (like a small click pop) thru a speaker?

If there is no relay click, the unit is staying in protect mode because of some sort of failure in power amp & /or supply.--many possibilities that require further testing/voltage readings with a meter & print.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $10.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Tytanium

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
In looking at the block diagram, there is no fuse protection for speaker(only a relay protection).
several possibilities;
Can you hear the typical speaker relay click shortly after powering up?
If so, can you hear anything (like a small click pop) thru a speaker?

If there is no relay click, the unit is staying in protect mode because of some sort of failure in power amp & /or supply.--many possibilities that require further testing/voltage readings with a meter & print.

Thanks for the reply Smile

Yes in fact i can hear the click inside the unit during power up but absolutely no sound comes through the speakers at least none that i could hear, maybe i should have a closer listen.Not even a hum or static coming from the speakers at high volume so its like the speakers aren't even getting any power at all.

justmanuals wrote:
This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $10.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Thanks,

If i run out of options i may get a copy Smile
vtech

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, if you can hear the speaker relay click regardless of any input source(Cd/Tuner/Tape etc), something along the signal path must be muting your signal. This could be anything from a bad port, connection issue or perhaps a switching IC.
Just like any microprocessor controlled circuitry, before doing anything, you should try the reset by unplugging, wait 30sec or so and plug it back in.
Tytanium

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Ok, if you can hear the speaker relay click regardless of any input source(Cd/Tuner/Tape etc), something along the signal path must be muting your signal. This could be anything from a bad port, connection issue or perhaps a switching IC.
Just like any microprocessor controlled circuitry, before doing anything, you should try the reset by unplugging, wait 30sec or so and plug it back in.

vtech wrote:

The unit is currently unplugged and has been for a few hours now.It had been sitting awhile before until the other day when i hooked it up and discovered the problem.I would like to be able to use this unit but now it is more of me just wanting to fix it just for the challenge of making it work again.I am willing to try anything because since it is currently having an issue, i feel like i have nothing to lose anyway.I am thinking of opening it all up again and fully disassembling it and taking an even closer look than i did the last time, maybe i missed something.What would some common things for me to test/check be?.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon pressing "Power" you hear a (power) relay "click."

A second or two later, do you hear a second "click" for the (speaker) relay? (I'm presuming it has one)
Tytanium

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
Upon pressing "Power" you hear a (power) relay "click."

A second or two later, do you hear a second "click" for the (speaker) relay? (I'm presuming it has one)

upon pressing power i hear only one click, none come after that.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you (or vtech) confirm if this unit has a Speaker relay?

If it does, relay usually will have 6 pins - 2 for the energizing coil, two that connect to the outputs of the left and right amplifiers and two that connect to the speaker / speaker switching (sometimes even headphone) circuits.
The relay should have the coil voltage written on it, which you should get on one or both coil pins (depending on whether the relay is energized or not). If either of the two pins that connect to the amplifier have any substantial voltage on them, the relay will NOT energize and you will know which channel has defect.
Tytanium

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
Can you (or vtech) confirm if this unit has a Speaker relay?

If it does, relay usually will have 6 pins - 2 for the energizing coil, two that connect to the outputs of the left and right amplifiers and two that connect to the speaker / speaker switching (sometimes even headphone) circuits.
The relay should have the coil voltage written on it, which you should get on one or both coil pins (depending on whether the relay is energized or not). If either of the two pins that connect to the amplifier have any substantial voltage on them, the relay will NOT energize and you will know which channel has defect.

I will open it up and have a look to see if i can locate the relay(if it has one i am guessing it will be on the board that the speaker outputs/source inputs are connected to).I don't have access to a multimeter at the moment which means i will need to get it back so i can test the voltage..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия