electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Rewire a VGA cable?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
armyman

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 10:55 am    Post subject: Rewire a VGA cable? Reply with quote

So here's my situation. I own a set of Logitech Z-2300 speakers. The control module that takes care of volume, power and bass levels plugs into the back of the sub-woofer via D-sub 15 (VGA) connector. What happened was my control module broke and my speakers were still in warranty. So I contact Logitech and they want to send me a new set, but I have to send in my broken control module. That is, I get to keep my perfectly functioning speakers and get a whole new set. So now I have two sets of speakers but one control module. My first thought was that I could just buy a VGA splitter and be able to control all of the speakers with just one control module. I mentioned this in a Logitech official forum, however, and an administrator told me that Logitech uses their own proprietary pin configuration and it's different for every set of speakers they sell.

So down to the question. My idea is to buy a regular VGA splitter and then rewire it by testing signals on each pin-hole in the sub-woofer and matching the pins. I have a multimeter to do this. Is this even possible? Will splitting the signal cause something to go awry?
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Logitech uses their own proprietary pin configuration and it's different for every set of speakers they sell.

I doubt that's true. Maybe Model Number "a" is wired differently from Model Number "b," but I doubt that each Model Number "a" is wired differently from one to the next.

Quote:
Will splitting the signal cause something to go awry?

Are you aware of speaker impedance? (Google it)
8 ohm speaker in series with 8 ohm = 16 ohm impedance / 8 ohm speaker wired in parallel with 8 ohm = 4 ohm impedance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия