electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
MN101C51FFA: microcontroller? Can somebody offer some help

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
georgeNCSUee

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:23 pm    Post subject: MN101C51FFA: microcontroller? Can somebody offer some help Reply with quote

Hi guys!

OK, so after I followed Al_Dodge_Bundy's advice (thanks again Mark!), I think that what's wrong with the Eclipse CD player in my earlier post is this MN101C51FFA, but now I need some help finding a replacement. Here's a picture of the bastard Mad :
http://home.nc.rr.com/georgencsuee//index_files/image005.jpg

I searched for datasheets and the closest part I could come up with was the MN101C51F 8bit Microcomputer by Panasonic. Here's the link:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.com/datasheets_pdf/M/N/1/0/MN101C51F.shtml

Then I tried to find this part for sale and again I only came close. I found a MN101C51FGA (MI-COM IC according to their description) and a MN101C51FGB (IC(MI-COM) RXDM55 again according to their description) on http://www.partstore.com, but the site says they are made by Kenwood. And they don't have any pictures or any other information. Here's the link:
http://www.partstore.com/PartNumberSearchResults.aspx?PartNumber=MN101C51

What do u guys think? Anybody know an equivalent for this MN101C51FFA or what the story is with it?

Thanks,
George
Ray

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to commend you on t'shooting ability & persistance. Based on your findings it sure points to the IC, although based on the symptoms, it may possibly be related to spindle motor which happens to be a very common problem in CD players in general.

Problem with the Microcontroller lies with the burned in Rom(last 2~4 digits denotes Rom Version) which makes it very specific to that model only and short of getting it from similiar unit the only other option is Eclipse which to the best of my knowledeg is next to impossible to deal with (proprietary crap that some manufacturesr pull & only want to fix inhouse)Mad

Having worked for a large chain, not had much luck with Eclipse especially when it comes to Specific Parts

Ray
georgeNCSUee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response Ray! This would actually be my first real t-shoot and I only followed the advice that I got from Al_Dodge_Bundy.

I now know that the spindle motor is probably the cause for it sometimes not spinning up, but I can't really see any link between it and the laser tracking going crazy. Do you think it's possible?

And you are telling me that the "FA" of the part # (the one that didn't match any of my findings Mad) is critical, huh? Just great! And I guess the MN101C51FGA and MN101C51FGB that I found and were said to be made by Kenwood, are the same microcontroller that I need, but with Kenwood software, right?

Well, at least I learned something from this experience. I might try to contact Eclipse or look for another bad unit like mine and try my luck again. You guys don't happen to have one of these chips laying around, do you?

George
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

georgeNCSUee wrote:

I now know that the spindle motor is probably the cause for it sometimes not spinning up, but I can't really see any link between it and the laser tracking going crazy. Do you think it's possible?

And you are telling me that the "FA" of the part # (the one that didn't match any of my findings Mad) is critical, huh? Just great! And I guess the MN101C51FGA and MN101C51FGB that I found and were said to be made by Kenwood, are the same microcontroller that I need, but with Kenwood software, right?

George

Yup... that's exactly what i meant with the microcontroller IC. While there may be instances of being able to substitute, however there is no telling unless it's been tried b4 & only the guys who work on them will be able to tell you. ie, have seen it where you might get an Ic with a completely diff part number from the original, yet will work on the unit

And in regard to spindle motor & how it could cause it?....

In basic terms, in any laser beam driven player you have what is called a "closed servo loop" between laser, spindle motor, sled motor & servo controller in order to track thru a CD. If for some reason any of the 2 motors or even the laser p/u decides to wig out during operation, the servo controller will attempt to correct & if unable can lead in to all sorts of problems tracking/etc

This is where experience comes in to picture where you will start seeing certain symptoms taking place as failures begin appear on variety of units.

While not sure of the said Eclipse, your case may very well be related to the controller but it can certainly be caused by the spindle where it slowly begins to loose its rotational ability/ speed (mainly due to wear/etc). ---needing a head start is the "Typical" sign of a failing spindle motor in the world of repair & in general mechanical failures are much more likely than electronics.

And if/when it's determined to be the spindle, depending on the condition, there are ways to attempt salvaging it if there are no replacements which is a diff topic in itself .

Btw, pretty much sure of not having any layin around ...sorry

Goold Luck

Ray
georgeNCSUee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Idea Aaaahhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaa! I see now how the spindle motor could be the cause for the whole mess. But would it also explain the heat sensitivity? I mean, it works ok after I use the cooling spray on the microcontroller, but only until it heats back up. Do you still think the motor to be the problem?

Anyway, thanks for the input, Ray!

George
georgeNCSUee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question Well Ray, what do u think (concerning my last post)?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия