electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
in dash gps vr3 vrvd640g repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gba88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: in dash gps vr3 vrvd640g repair Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I really hope someone can help me out here..... My skill level: hobbyist. I've always been into electronic repair, and have tackled simple to medium (cellphone lcd repair, smd soldering) type things...ANYWAY...

I have a popular car stereo/gps unit (vr3 vrvd640g). It had a dent in the top of it and a cd was jammed in the disc drive mechanism. I have reseated all of the physical mechanisms and have restored everything to a normal state.

issue: the motor that pulls the disc into the unit once the disc is sensed is not working/triggering. Additionally, the unit will not read from sd cards or usb drives as it should(it recognizes the sd card, but no menu will come up and play controls do not work). Since the dvd player controls the usb and sd menus, I'm guessing it's related.

nothing "looks" fried or faulty. The soldering work in this unit is pretty poor and sloppy overall. To complicate matters, the ribbon cable that connects the disc module to the mainboard is captive and is only detachable by desoldering.

Other than the dvd and removable media functions, the unit powers up, gps works and the radio work. Just no dvd/cd or removable media support.

The IR LEDs *do* detect when a disc comes between them, but again, the motor does not engage to pull the disc in. ANY help or starting points from here would be greatly appreciated!!!!
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the specific unit, some mechanism loop basics to check when there is no schematic;
Good that you have already checked the operation of sensor led's, Is it possible that unit has suffered an impact damage of some sort causing a possible crack on pcb or perhaps the mechanism is not quite in "home" position?
Check the motor that controls the mech... May want to carefully isolate & drive it with low external DC just to see it go thru the motoins (with a junk disc). Or may be you manually turn the motor & see if it resets the mech back when unit is hooked up to power?
Proly not easy but try following the motor drive circuit from the motor itself back to the driver & see if you can detect the break in the loop.
Find a datasheet on the motor driver IC that will give you some ideas on it's operation.
gba88

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
Not familiar with the specific unit, some mechanism loop basics to check when there is no schematic;
Good that you have already checked the operation of sensor led's, Is it possible that unit has suffered an impact damage of some sort causing a possible crack on pcb or perhaps the mechanism is not quite in "home" position?
Check the motor that controls the mech... May want to carefully isolate & drive it with low external DC just to see it go thru the motoins (with a junk disc). Or may be you manually turn the motor & see if it resets the mech back when unit is hooked up to power?
Proly not easy but try following the motor drive circuit from the motor itself back to the driver & see if you can detect the break in the loop.
Find a datasheet on the motor driver IC that will give you some ideas on it's operation.

Well I could swear that I replied to this, but the post seems to be gone!!!!! Dang, and it was a long reply. Anyway, Thanks a lot for the post. To summarize my "missing" post... all gear mechanisms run smoothly by hand and have been seated and re-seated in both states (cd in cd out) in order to try to "reset" a hidden or missed switch... the motor in question runs with 9v of dc power put to it directly.... I've visually inspected the pcb in question with a loop (jeweler's eyepiece thing)... nothing stands out except sloppy soldering work. The main board connected to the drive module has samsung chips on it and and arm9 chip i believe. the unit runs on windows ce. The removable media and dvd/cd are supposed to be accessible all through the dvd button. with media in the sd slot, i can get to a screen that shows an icon representing an inserted sd card, but the screen goes blank when I hit the button to read the disc, but reappears when I hit the screen again. I'll post any more info that I find tonight...I'll prob end up spending my weekend troubleshooting this thing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I put a shift in last night on this thing to no avail. I ended up installing it for my dad today since he only listens to the radio anyway (wouldn't miss the dvd/mp3 functions). In any case, we checked it out and the gps works great along with the FM radio. Oddly enough, it wouldn't pickup any AM stations at all.

I really wish I could have figured out the issue (has to be in the disc insertion/detect circuit), but I didn't want to go so far as to destroy the GPS and radio functions.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: I NEED HELP! Reply with quote

my vr3 VRVD640G car stereo dosent work.the gps signal dosent get anywhere.it worked the first 2 times i used it but after it didnt get signal pleas help!!
email:[email protected]
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: hi i needed some help with the same kind of stereo! Reply with quote

i have the same vr3 VRVD640G stereo but my problem is that the GPS dosent get any signal and i dont know why.everything is plugged in right and it still dosent get it if you know how to fix or have atleast know of something i can do please email me at [email protected] asap thanks!
[email protected]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm    Post subject: lost remote control unit how can i get a new one Reply with quote

[quote="i have a vrvd64og unit and i lost the remote for it where can i replace at how do i get one

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: lost remote control unit how can i get a new one Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
[quote="i have a vrvd64og unit and i lost the remote for it where can i replace at how do i get one
5017421025 someone call me please;
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия