electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony GDM500PS - Please HELP: red signal fluctuations
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
krytron

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I rushed here to post about my latest "progress report" of torturing the A board just to see your new reply and suggestion.
So I grabbed my magnifying glass, exposed the rear of the monitor to the direct sunlight and start looking for the bad soldering points. But I was not able to recognize the bad solder connections. Confused

I've got the "picture" of bad solder from my experience with GDM1962B, but that is a drastic example. Perhaps I'm lacking experience, so I'll resolder everything in sight and reach. Mr. Green

However, I made a progress with "assistant", who were watching the picture while I was tapping the A board.
After a while, we found a hot-spot: it's the upper side/border just above IC402 and IC403. Those circuits are:
    IC402: RGB drive
    IC403: RGB OUT - outputs go directly to CRT (and it's very hot)

Tapping that part of the board induced the reddish-bluish-normal transitions.
But I was not able to induce the "blank frame" effect...

Now, back to the suggestion of recapping everything; there are several clusters of 10-15 electrolytes; they would cost me a small fortune! Shocked That is, if I don't want to install cheap junk that will dry-out in three months or so.
I have two nonworking PC motherboards with nichicon, sanyo, rubycon and elna capacitors.
Those are not junk caps, but they are not new.

One more issue I noticed while inspecting the board. The service manual shows this number as being printed on A board:
1-667-235-14 (171435014)
while my monitor has this number instead:
1-667-235-16 (171435016)
The only difference being 6 instead of 4 as a last digit. I wander why - perhaps because this unit have Sun logo and was shipped with a workstation?
Should check other boards (if possible) whether the number match or not.

Well, things are now converging - hopefully towards a final solution.

Thanks again for the suggestions and tips.

Best Regards.
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you resolder IC402: RGB drive
IC403: RGB OUT?
krytron

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Back at the issue... Reply with quote

Hello,

I had a few free days left and had to use them, so I was away from home for a while. Got home yesterday in the evening.

minnie wrote:
Did you resolder IC402: RGB drive
IC403: RGB OUT?

Resoldered them yesterday, IC402 had suspiciously looking soldering points, but unfortunately I accomplished nothing. Confused
The A board is still sensitive to tapping above those two ICs, and I discovered that a side kick produces similar effects as well.
Except color changes, it looks like the image becomes dimmer, than back to normal, just as if I used the brightness control.
The board is two-sided, so I will have to remove it eventually and inspect the other side.

But how do I get rid of the pair of wires (red and black) going from FBT to the ceramic connector of a CRT tube? They pass through the rear aluminum plate of the casing, preventing me from detaching the two boards from monitor (A-board actually consists of two boards, the smaller one is denoted as "C-block" in the service manual and is attached to the CRT).

The relay stopped switching again and I'm staring at the distorted image. Sad

The only positive thing is that the ghosting problem is barely visible after I kicked the D-board shield one week ago...

I'm stuck again. Crying or Very sad

Best Regards.
krytron

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After resoldering the chips, I found that it is much harder to induce color changes by tapping the board than before. Unfortunately, spontaneous changes are even more frequent and more expressive than before.

I was wandering, is it possible that one of the chips (IC402 or IC403) is passing through "near-death experience", and it became sensitive to tapping? Meaning it may soon die.

From your vast experience, does it make any sense or not? Have anyone ever encountered similar problem and if yes, what was the solution?

Perhaps it is only some bad capacitor or solder point, but I'm slightly losing hope. Neutral
Please help...

Regards.
krytron

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: What to do next??? Reply with quote

I have a new "conclusion" regarding my problem.

The color change is not actually reddish to bluish but rather reddish to cyan-like. This led me to the conclusion that the problem is only in the red signal level.

It's either above normal, which gives a red tone to the image or bellow normal, which gives a cyan tone to the image. Seems that only red signal is fluctuating, but I simply can't trace down my problem. If it's only the red signal, then it should reduce the "search space" for the problem. However, I'm stuck as I don't have enough experience with this kind of electronics.

It's quite remarkable and funny that hitting a D-board removed ghosting - reminds me on those movies where a good hit at the control panel (or whatever), at the right time, revives a plane, starship, etc. just in a last moment so the good guys escape from the bad ones. Smile

My problem now breaks down to whether the fluctuating red signal is a consequence of a bad driver/amplifier chip, or something more trivial like bad capacitor or only a solder point(s).

But unfortunately, seems that I bored everyone in here to death with my problem. Neutral

Best Regards.
krytron

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:04 am    Post subject: New "findings" Reply with quote

OK, no one seems to care about this thread, but I'll post my latest thoughts about the red-level issue.

The R/G/B signals reach the IC401 (PRE-AMP), then they go to IC402 (RGB DRIVE). The OSD, which is internally generated picture/signal, is also affected by red color fluctuations.
But the output of IC401 and OSD are "blended" in the IC402, which passes its output to IC403 (RGB OUT).
Therefore, the red color issue must be at or after IC402, i.e. either IC402 is faulty, or some component (like Cxyz/Qxyz/Dxyz) between IC402 and IC403 that carries R signal to IC403 is faulty (or fortunately just a bad solder), or finally there is a problem with IC403 or some of the Rxyz/Dxyz/Lxyz components carrying R signal to the tube (or again, only a bad solder).

Does any of it makes sense? Because if it does, then I'll try to resolder all red signal traces. The components are hard to get and are more expensive than the monitor is worth. Neutral

Thanks in advance.

Best Regards.
krytron

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: 6-pack to the one who reads this Reply with quote

Now that all of you have put me on ignore, I can abuse my thread...

I created a full-screen test image: white stripe at the top with full screen width and 1/4 screen height plus three bars: red, green and blue adjacent to each other, 1/3 of screen width and 3/4 screen height.
Then I start staring... and observed that the problem is indeed only in the red signal.
But the confusing part is: red level is going above and below its normal value.
The question is can bad solder or capacitor cause the signal to go both above and below its nominal value?
Or is there a problem with a component (one of the two ICs mentioned in the previous post)?

Thanks in advance, just in case someone dares to type a word or two. Smile
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия