electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Measuring High Voltage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul412

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Measuring High Voltage? Reply with quote

Can I test voltage with a regular multi meter?

My sony rear projection tv has audio but NO VIDEO!
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most meters will measure up to around 2,000 volts as is. With the proper adaptor(s), the sky's the limit. Wink
minnie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's called a high voltage probe. They decrease usually by 1000 volt incriments. So if it reads 47.7 it's 47,700 volts.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I don't have a HV probe to attach to my meter, I called a tv repairman. He is going to charge me $75 to tell me the problem. I'm hoping after his diagnostic, I can install the part myself with the help of you folks. Thanks
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are not interested in the exact value of the HV but you just want to know if the voltage is there or not, the simplest way is to look carefully at dust and dirt that has accumulated around the HV circuitry and see if you can notice any movement of small particles when switching the set on and off.

The familiar method of sweeping the back of the hand over the screen is of course difficult with rear projection sets.
FixMyTv

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the repairman showed up to check it. He took the back cover off and looked inside and told me the parts would be $200 and the labor $150 to repair. He did not troubleshoot anything, he only looked inside with his eyes. This tells me that I have HV and he suspects the parts are minor right? I paid him $75 for the estimate so it will cost another $350 to repair. I told him that I would get back to him. I was expecting him to diagnose the problem for the $75 fee but he only came out and gave me an estimate for the repairs needed without telling me what failed. Crying or Very sad

Also, that price includes him taking my tv back to his shop to fix. He said he can't work on his hands and knees. I guess he will have to follow the flow chart at the shop. It sounds like he is charging too much for parts without knowing what failed. But on the flipside, he needs to give me an estimate in order to take the tv back to the shop. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия