electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
tape deck door will not open

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seajaih

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: tape deck door will not open Reply with quote

I have a fisher stereo that plays vinyl records, has a/m-f/m radio and plays cassette tapes. It is a Fisher MC-705 model. This is old but always works like a charm. Smile

I rewound a tape and it looks like it went a little past the end as I can see the clear tape there. Now I can't play or eject the tape and the door just will not open. I tried to fast forward, thinking if the tape moved a little I could get it functioning again, but that won't work either. In other words, no matter what button I push on the tape player, nothing works.

The other functions/radio and record player both work fine, it is just the tape deck.
Pentode

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't gave the model.

The possible reasons could be a broken or slack tape belt, the door release mechanism or if it's one of these machines that has a reversible head... plays tapes in two directions then it could be the reversing cam.

Sometimes the door can be opened manually but first of all disconnect the main power cord... we don't want any electricity about, then try and locate the capstan wheel, the largest wheel in the machine, there will be two in if the unit plays tapes in both directions, carefully turn this a few ties while pressing the play button and 'see' if it releases the door, may work or may not work.

It will have to be to have to be stripped down to be able to repair the fault, maybe gears and all, so if you are not confident best bet is to drop it in the repair shop and see if you can get an estimate for them to do the repair.

Dave
seajaih

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me? I did give the model. It's right there in my post.

If it means taking the case off to find the capstan wheel, I can do that.

There is a repair shop but it is a 100 mile round trip to go there and I would rather do it myself, than to travel that far.

Thank you.

Anymore suggestions on how to get the door open, from anyone else? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия