electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Test/Measure Transformer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ponytailedgrl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:29 pm    Post subject: Test/Measure Transformer Reply with quote

I have a transformer on a circuit board of my GE range. I'm measure 110AC on the pimary side but on the secondary side there are 4 pins, marked 5,6,7 and 8. It should have 24 DC volts coming out of it. From what I can remember in one of my undergraduate class, the 2 pins on the primary measure 110 AC and the secondary should have 2 wire that read 24 DC. I have 4 pins coming out of the secondary. Two that measure 11 while the other two pins have 24. This is measure under a load. I did check the resistance it was okay. Any suggestions to testing the transformer?
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voltage at transformer "pins" is always AC. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always? Sweetie I thought I had located a replacement part that had 24v for the secondary winding. Does that explain why there are 4 connections out of the secondary? Taking it from AC and turn to DC by way of some diodes on a connected board? Then it seems to run back to the original board to some relays. and then back to the transformer?
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just because a transformer has a mess of pins, does not mean it has to use all of them. Wink
AC out of transformer can be rectified by one diode (half-wave) or by two diodes (full wave). It can also be rectified by four diodes (full wave bridge).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One "set of pins" has 24vac while the other has like 3vac. What is happening is the relays are switching back off after a few mintues. The coil will energize and the oven will get hot but then a few mintues later the relay cuts off? Does that sound like a leaking e-cap or a bad diode?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия