electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Acer Travelmate 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forfuxake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Acer Travelmate 520 Reply with quote

I have a acer travelmate 520 and it's driving me nuts.
Up until the last time I used it some months ago, It has been
bombproof. I turned it on and got a message that the motherboard
battery was flat. No probs, i'll find out where it is and fit a new one.
Did that, works again.
Only thing is that everything on the screen is oversize now.
When you turn it on you get the acer boot screen but the red bag that used to be right in the middle of the screen is much larger and is offset to the right and down.
When the machine finishes loading up, You can't see the start menu or systray or any icons that might be down near the bottom or on the far right unless you go fishing with the mouse off the side or bottom of the screen.
If I plug another monitor in, the picture displays perfectly on that one.
but that sorta defeats having a "portable computer"
I have tried reinstalling the original o/s (win98se),
re flashing back to the original bios (acer provide an update for xp),
reinstalling video driver (ati rage mobility m-1) both generic and acer specific.
I know it's old, but like I said- it has been rock steady...up until now...
leucocit

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you could give a try to BIOS restore defaults. It's quick, just note down your current values to restore later.

Though I doubt it's a bios problem, since it displays ok on 2nd monitor.
Can always install a second OS.. i have xubuntu installed (the alternate edition, which requires 128MB, though 256 recommended).

BTW, I also have the bad cmos message:
- how do you open the keyboard?
- can't find service manual (524 not anymore in acer.com, and no net luck)
FalconFour

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, that's a curious one. That sounds like the LCD panel isn't being properly identified to the video controller. It's unlikely that the battery-backed RAM would store information about display timing settings, though!

My first place to look would be the cable from the LCD panel to the motherboard. Check those connections and reseat them. It should tell the system how to put things on the screen, and how many pixels are available on the panel (that's called "timing"). The video controller has to always output the same number of pixels to the screen no matter what the resolution is, so it's responsible for stretching the screen (unlike LCD monitors, which perform the "scaling" from the VGA input themselves). If that information is corrupt, it'll always output the wrong information on the screen.

So, the question is, how does it appear? Is it a bad display all the way from the time you power on the machine (at the BIOS screens and Windows start logo)? Or is it only after Windows loads and you've got a pointer? If it's the latter, it's a much simpler fix - just adjust the resolution (but that's unlikely if you're having to fish around for items off the screen)...

Hope this helps! Smile
den95deb

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:49 am    Post subject: I have exactly the same problem Reply with quote

Found your entry I have the same laptop with the same problem after i changed the bios battery

Have you fix the problem

Dennis
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $10.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
den95deb

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Have a manual but it does help

Cheers
Dennis
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия