electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Toshiba sd2800 refuses to play

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
desperate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Toshiba sd2800 refuses to play Reply with quote

Loads, spins a little shows "Loading" then shows "Disk Error" and refuses to play. Worked fine the day before.
desperate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Toshiba sd2800 refuses to play Reply with quote

I opened her up and noticed laser wasn't turning on.
I tried to force it to turn on by entering 'zoom,0,3,0,zoom' via the remote but it still doesn't turn on. Any ideas?
sk8881

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Probably too late but I have a work-around, Toshiba SD-2800 Reply with quote

You may already have given up on this model and bought a new one, however, I have (sort of) a solution to this problem. I have a Toshiba SD-2800 that, over the years, has had limited use and today, when I tried to use it, I received constant "Disk Error" messages on all media, blank and pre-recorded. On other boards I saw a reference to shock-absorber feet on the drive mechanism that collapse over time, causing the drive to bind up. I put in a disk and, as quickly as possible, turned the unit upside down. The disk played normally. In order to eject the disk, I had to turn the unit right side up or else the platter would open and the disk would remain inside the unit.

Clumsy? Yes, however, it worked. I plan to open the case tomorrow and see if there is some way to prop up the drive mechanism to avoid the flip action. Doubt I can get new parts on a unit this old.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: Probably too late but I have a work-around, Toshiba SD-2 Reply with quote

sk8881 wrote:
You may already have given up on this model and bought a new one, however, I have (sort of) a solution to this problem. I have a Toshiba SD-2800 that, over the years, has had limited use and today, when I tried to use it, I received constant "Disk Error" messages on all media, blank and pre-recorded. On other boards I saw a reference to shock-absorber feet on the drive mechanism that collapse over time, causing the drive to bind up. I put in a disk and, as quickly as possible, turned the unit upside down. The disk played normally. In order to eject the disk, I had to turn the unit right side up or else the platter would open and the disk would remain inside the unit.

Clumsy? Yes, however, it worked. I plan to open the case tomorrow and see if there is some way to prop up the drive mechanism to avoid the flip action. Doubt I can get new parts on a unit this old.

More than likely it is long gone by now since the posting is over 3 years old. I am familiar with the collapsing shock absorber syndrome that was rather common to the SD9200 series(top of the line at the time). Main problem was the rattling sound &/or causing the disc to scrape against the tray due to collapsed mechanism. Of course Toshiba blamed it on substandard discs and came up with a "new & improved" damper kit as a replacement. Even remember the part number: 79070496
Interesting that you can see a similar situation is SD 2800. I think that it is more than likely a collapse lens rather than the mechanism but if you need to raise it, you could always add washers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия