electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Phone charging via USB & Wall plug?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wrazoru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Phone charging via USB & Wall plug? Reply with quote

Hi....I've recently purchased an LG Incite phone which uses the USB port for charging. It charges either by USB wire when connected to a computer or by a power plug that plugs into the same USB connector on the phone.

I'm wondering how safe & feasible it is to charge the phone via the USB connector to other USB charging devices...eg. iPod charger...which works on the same principal that the device is being charged via a USB style outlet? Are ALL USB charging ports the same in terms of electricity specifications? Is it safe?

I read my manual for the phone, & it does say that charging via the computer will in some cases take 5-10 times longer than charging thru a USB power adaptor that plugs directly into a electrical wall socket. I'm assuming this is just because a greater current is being applied, correct?

THnaks in advance..
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, the current draw is limited to no more than 500ma through a USB by design limitation regardless of the device. Depending on the device in question, as long as you are below 500ma, you should be OK. (hence the reason for wanting to use a separate adapter).
Another USB design criteria is the ability to shut down if/when 500ma is exceeded. Of course not sure of this validity for every cheap device in the market today? Either way with USB, as long as drawing around 5 volt at no more than 1/2 an amp there should be no problem.
Here is a good bit of info
http://www.girr.org/mac_stuff/usb_stuff.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия