electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
ESR meter Vs Capacitance meter.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 4:51 pm    Post subject: ESR meter Vs Capacitance meter. Reply with quote

I’m looking for an ESR meter. Of course the ESR (equivalent series resistance) meter is used to check for dry caps. “I’ve used one for a long time.” I’ve done plenty of reading on the net and seeing as a capacitance meter reads the value of the cap, what good is it on detected a dry cap? I have a fluke 175 which reads capacitance, so what is the advantage of getting a capacitance meter? Say like a B&k 830.
Ray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure of the question, but here's the info;

In general, it is prefered to have an ESR meter rather than a cap meter which is rather useless in the repair field. ESR happense to be a major cause of cap. failures & does not necessarily mean dryness(low to no value measured). You can have a perfect value while the ESR can be way too much causing all sorts of problems. Been using a Sencore unit which has both (ESR + value tester) for 20 plus years & have come across many caps w/good value & too high of an ESR. As a Fyi, ESR is the inability of an electrolytic cap in Chg/Dischg in circuit --similiar as if there was a series resistor inside .

As a rule, the lower the value in Microfarad, the more ESR is to be allowed/expected from electrolytics & vise/versa up to a point (there is an actual chart, but it will get easy to spot after a while). In some applications, such as chopper regulators or Tv H-vert circuits, ESR becomes rather critical
minnie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a cap meter will give you a value but doesn't mean the caps good. 1uf = 1mf but if dry, could be infinite. Or shorted. Parker’s ESR meter has me going. Looking at good or bad is easier than trying to figure out how the resistance scaling of their meter equals a dry cap. Sorry, thinking.
electrotec

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

www.icgrid.net
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to icgrid, what am I looking for?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия