electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Reducing Amperage

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shnoob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reducing Amperage Reply with quote

Hi.

I want to reduce the amperage of a 12v 1amp 120v plug in power source to .28 amps to power a computer case fan in a different application.

Can I do this? If so, can I add more than one fan to the line without further loss of amperage?

Can the .28 amp fan run with a supplied amperage of 1amp without burning up?

Thanks in advance.
fongs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not entirely clear on what u want to do. Do u have a rated 12V, 1A power adaptor to be used with yr casing fan?

If the above is true, it shouldn't be any problems since yr fan will only consume up to 0.28A of what yr power adaptor could supply. There's no need to reduce "amperage" as u thought... Smile
fongs

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, if u want to add more fans to the same power source, u should connect them in parallel:

12v +
------------------
| | |
F1 F2 F3
| | |
------------------
-

Also, 3 fans is the max here (1A / 3 = 0.33A). Any more than that will result in reduced fan speed & overloading of yr power adaptor. Laughing
PoxyPig

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, you make no sense whatever!

A 120V computer case fan?? All the ones I've seen recently run from the 12V power supply.

As for amperage - there's no such word. Are you referring to current??
Current is measured in Amps, short for Ampères.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия