electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
stereo fuses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jay2boo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: stereo fuses Reply with quote

i have a sony receiver that suddenly went dead. the power light still turns on but i get no sound, station ability. the fuse was blown; it was a 250V
F 5A. i replaced it with a 250V T 5A and that fuse blew immediately upon plugging in! is that because i should have replaced it with another "F 5A"? or do i have a bigger problem on my hands? thanks for any help.
absorbentgnome

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you have a bigger problem on your hands. Something is shorted within your reciever, it will have to be looked at by a repair technician.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: stereo fuses Reply with quote

This does not mean you have a bigger problem.
The "F" stands for fast blow and the "T" for time-delay by allowing for sudden inrush current during switch on.
I suspect the original fault has simply blown it again but the cause would require investigation using a multimeter to see if the short circuit is in the power supply or the power amplifier stages.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes he has a big problem 5 a is a lot and that means power supply trouble. try replacing the big caps to begin with then you get a problem whereby you need to troubleshhot the PWM if there is one and drivers. now you need a scope don't have that then a pro can fix it but i would buy another instead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the F fuse is a fast acting fuse which is supposed to blow before damaging silicon devices like transistors and such. This seems to never happen in the real world. Fuses don't just blow, there is always a problem that causes them to blow. By replacing the fuse without finding the cause always seems to damage more expensive things inside. By putting a slow T fuse in I would say that you have blown many more components up.
Maybe your power light is on the primary side of the transformer, so it still lights up. You will need a multimeter to investigate the fault any further.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия