electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Technics SX-PX224 digital piano

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
subspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Technics SX-PX224 digital piano Reply with quote

I have acquired a Technics SX-PX224 digital piano which has a power-up fault. Essentially when it is switched on the LCD display and all the mode selection buttons are dead and it doesn't make a sound. However, there is a small red power LED which lights-up.

I have checked for loose connectors, blown fuses and any obvious signs of damage. I was checking some of the pins for voltages and was able to find +/- 15V but not 5V although I did find lots of pins at 1.3V. I found one pin labeled +5D but the voltage on it was only 1.3V.

Does anyone have a service manual for this piano?
Pentode

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We need to trace that voltage back to source, usually a regulator... I had something like this in a digital piano but it wasn't a Technics.

I found two chips pulling the 5V rail down... I advised to return it to the makers as these were customized chips - not readily available,. To find the fault I cut the supply track to various chips, luckily the 2nd cut proved there was a very low reading between the chip supply and ground, so I cut the supply track to it's mate and that chip was the same....

I called it a day suspecting some that someone had used the wrong power adapter, used too much voltage or connected it up wrong.

But DO start by tracing the 1.3 V back to source and start there, it may be just a faulty regulator... and it may well should be 1.3V

Dave
subspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There also seems to be some sticky orange "goo" around one of the larger capacitors. I think it is adhesive but can capacitors "leak" in this way?
subspace

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should point out that the capacitor is not bulging or anything.
Kerrybeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Technics sxpx 224 Reply with quote

I have a technics sxpx224 with the same problem. I found a repairman to come and look at it and was told that the main board would need to be replaced at the cost of $900. So, now I have this beautiful piano that is of no use. :0(
kerrybeth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:01 pm    Post subject: sxpx 224 technics Reply with quote

If there is anyone in the Morgantown WV area that could work on this piano or possibly give a second opinion, I would greatly appreciate it.
Hoelly

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Piano SX-PX224 Reply with quote

hi subspace,
do you still have this piano?
I bought one a few days ago and it had the same errors, after 4 hours searching I was able to find the reason and now it works. Do you need some hints? Can I help?
Joe123

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Piano SX-PX224 Reply with quote

Hoelly wrote:
hi subspace,
do you still have this piano?
I bought one a few days ago and it had the same errors, after 4 hours searching I was able to find the reason and now it works. Do you need some hints? Can I help?

I would very much like a hint. I have the same symptoms.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия