electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
technician wants to learn TV Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjc8906

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:53 pm    Post subject: technician wants to learn TV Repair Reply with quote

Anyone out willing to point me in the right direction, I have worked as a bench for 15 + years in industrial controls , I am interested in learning the art of television repair .

Where does one go for this type of training in NJ ?
Pentode

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One usually goes to College, but things have changed today. I was in the TV trade myself, personally I would advise to think again - think about it?

What do you change in a LCD TV, repairing down to component level well that's been tossed right out the window because there is only a handful of components to change, today it's a throw away society.

I myself sometimes wished I'd plumber or a electrcian... that's where the money is. Gee all those cathode resistors and capacitors we changed, you were expected to repair at least 16 sets a day and not hit anything whilst driving... can't do that with LCD sets.

If it must be electronics then probably computer repairs is a better option.

Back to the question it really does depend on your locality because different countries does things differently, being in the UK I can only speak for what we did here.

I guess with LCD TV's any serious problem that means removing the back cover they would send back to the manufacturers, the money is in selling them today not repairing them like in days of old.

Dave
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a Plumber for 27 years. Licensed in PA. & Fla. The trades aren't what they used to be either....

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Frank E

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if you want to learn for fun or profit.
I wouldn't recommend television servicing as a career move - I've met too many ex service techs working on construction sites to have any confidence in the long term or even short term career prospects. I had to go back to being an electrician (which is what I did before college and swore I would never return to) after years in instrumentation then comms. There were hundred of electronics engineers in comms all working in software because there simply wassn't electronics work.

The only area I've worked in where it is physically possible to fault find to component level and effect a repair was in ROVs, due to the low volume application. Even then they don't have the spares so ended up board swapping anyway.

It's all surface mount multi layer plated through hole boards. Even of firms wanted to repair to component level the investment in kit to do so is beyond the means of most service companies. The unic cost of production is so low for the manufacturers, their service departments don't bother.

Not sure what area of industrial controls you are in and whether there is an electronics element in the job.

I don't get many enquiries from employment agencies for electronics work. Positions are either way above my level - designing ICs or they are ubskilled soldering bits of wire.

The markets may be different in NJ.
chriso

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm lucky that repair and maintain wide variety of equipment including pneumatics - I also get to weld stuff.
I'v been repairing CRT displays for 25 years and have rescued boards with large holes burnt through them - mended stuff with no access to a manual or even the correct spares.
I don't have much to do with TVs except for some large CRT and DLP projectors.
Recently we've been receiving equipment fitted with LCD panels and had our first failure - suppliers want £1500 to replace it so despite never working on LCD I had a go.
Couldn't find anything with ESR/Multi meter....LCD panels don't don't 'talk' to you in the same way CRTs do - so I quickly had to resort to board swapping - which fixed nothing - panel is bad.
The LCD is mounted in a custom frame so I buy an LG domestic television, throw the case away, fold back the mounting flange so it fits in the custom case and we're done.
The LG cost about the same as the boards we bought which didn't fix anything.

My confidence in fixing CRT is high - LCD is very low.
Despite having SMD rework and excellent soldering skills I'm very inclined to give up quite quickly on LCD if I can't fix it in a fairly short time as for me time is money and I now keep various sizes of LG televisions - I buy the discounted 'last years model' as I don't need any of the TV features.

If I was to be paid purely on results of LCD fixing I'd have to find another job.

Where I am there is enough repairable equipment to keep me busy - most modern gear is however throw away.

I'd look at something broader than TV repair - I'm valuable to my employer because I fulfil a need - identifying a 'need' is the clue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия