electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Possible to use any power adapter with 220v/50hz?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hstraf

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Possible to use any power adapter with 220v/50hz? Reply with quote

OK, I have a quick question... Smile

Why do some "wall wart" power adapters (transformer from AC to DC) work with 110v/60hz and 220v/50hz.. but others do not?

Don't they all have the same electronics inside, with the only difference being the output voltage and amperage?

Don't they all use the same sort of AC to DC conversion that would work with both input voltages/frequencies?

Is the only difference that some are marked to work with both, and others are not?

In other words, am I safe to plug in my power adapter for my router into 220v/50hz even if it isn't marked for 220v/50hz? (I bought my router in Canada, but just moved to France, and I didn't bring a power convertor because all my other adapters say they work with both voltages and I just assumed this one would work, too...)

It DOES say that it is marked for 110v 50/60hz, which is kind of strange since we don't have 50hz in north america... so why would they indicate both frequencies but only one voltage?

Thanks for any help.
watsonson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very direct answer to your query is that the specifications printed on the power supply by the manufacturer are just that; if the you deviate fron the parameters indicated the powersupply will malfunction, possibly also damaging itself and anything connected to its output. The particular situation you mention where the PS indicates 110 volts (only) and you connect it to a 220 volt supply it will certainly fry and also damage the router. The only scenario where you can disregard specs and not necessarily cause serious damage is that of frequency; timers (real time clocks) will likely give incorrect time though. Hope this response helps in time.
RODALCO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:46 am    Post subject: 110 and 220 volts 50 and 60 Hz Reply with quote

I think that what you mean is that some adaptors cover all standard voltages between 90 and 270 Volts and frequencies from 50 and 60 Hz.
These are usually switch mode power supplies and work completely different than a transformer with a linear regulated supply.
You see similar voltages on videocamera chargers , and the newer TV's
These will rectify the incoming AC to DC and by controlling the on / off ratio provide the correct output voltage required for the application.

A mains transformer say 220 / 24 Volts will work on 110 volts but the output will be half the voltage and is 12 Volts AC in that case.

A 110 Volts transformer on 220 volts will burn out very quickly because the double input voltage will have an excessive currentflow with destructive heating of the windings.
The output would be double the rated secondary voltage untill the transformer has gone up in smoke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия