electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony repairs...saving time and headaches ;)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stephr1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Sony repairs...saving time and headaches ;) Reply with quote

I personally experienced this and thought I would pass it on to any and all owners of Sony equipment.

If your receiver goes into "PROTECT" mode (or your Sony equipment is acting erratically...shutting off, then coming back on), check the solder joints on all the boards in the unit. Use a magnifying glass, if needed, because some solder joint failures can be really hard to see, but just as much a problem. Odds are, over time the heat (and then cooling) within the box seems to cause cracks in solder connections (especially around devices capable of emitting reasonable amounts of heat...like amplifier ICs). It would seem Sony can do great design, but their manufacturing (and therefore, reliability) can leave something to be desired.

I would recommend, if you're comfortable with resoldering, to just resolder all connections within the general area where you find one bad joint (be very careful of overheating a component).

I own a Sony STR-DX835 receiver. I've had it for ~15 yrs and really like the sound quality (driving a couple of Klipsch bookshelf fronts, Bose rears and Klipsch subwoofer). The unit started going into "PROTECT" mode. I did the usual...checked for speaker wire shorts, bad speakers and even checked that the output transistors were OK. Then I came across more than a few postings on other forums that mentioned about the solder joint problem. And it wasn't limited to receivers, or equipment as old as mine.

I examined the amplifier circuit boards and was surprised the unit was working at all, given the size of some of the cracks. My rear channels must have had the problem first, because I went to HD/surround sound about a year before I did these repairs and never realized how much surround was missing. What a difference!!!

If you experience problems with Sony equipment, check the solder connections first. Might save you quite a bit of time (and maybe money).

Cheers....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия