electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Onkyo Stereo Receiver Issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrmywstr

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:05 am    Post subject: Onkyo Stereo Receiver Issues Reply with quote

I was recently given an older, broken Onkyo amp/receiver (is there a distinction between the two?), I don't have it with me now and do not know the model number and stats off-hand. If that's important info I can post it soon.

I took it to a repair shop and the guy fixed it for $80, if I remember correctly he said that he replaced some parts with a relay in the power supply. He had it running for a bit on his bench. However, when I took it home it wouldn't play sound--the relay that usually ticks on at power up wasn't clicking. So I brought it back and the guy was a bit confused but took a look. He ended up replacing a transistor and not charging for the extra labor. When I went to pick it up he turned it on and the relay clicked, he said he had played the radio through it for a day.

However, when I got home and plugged everything in it wouldn't work. No relay click. Is it possible that something is breaking while I transport it to and from the repair shop (about 30 miles)? My only other thought as to what is going on is that I live in a pretty old cabin with only two-prong outlets. Is it possible that the amp draws more current than my older electrical wiring can handle and is somehow breaking something inside the amp each time i plug it in and turn it on?

I'd hate to have to drive it back to the repair shop again, I'd feel like I was cheating him for doing the work and then me somehow breaking it each time.

Any advice/comments would be great!
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you may have an intermittent problem. The deal about the "two prong power or transport" is not relevant. Is this an older unit? Perhaps there is a bad connection issue or even capacitor issue?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah, i'll crack it open when i get home. maybe i'll try it around my place in different outlets to see if it is "intermittent". i'll post again what happens...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия