electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Non-interruptable power to a medical device drawing 1.3 amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacConsultant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:59 am    Post subject: Non-interruptable power to a medical device drawing 1.3 amps Reply with quote

Hi everyone !! This is my first post, and electronics is not my specialty.

I have a medical device which when used needs to run for up to seven hours without interruption in the event the house AC goes off. The device has a brick transformer taking 120V to 24V and the device draws 1.2 amps maximum but that might be measured at the device and not before the transformer.

I purchased a Cyberpower 1500 AVRT for $140 (CYBERPOWER 900 Watts: http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/products/ups-systems/avr-series-ups/CP1500AVRT.html

Others have recommended this Duracell $140 listed as providing 480 watts http://www.amazon.com/Duracell-DPP-600HD-Powerpack-Starter-Emergency/dp/B000TKHMWK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290647287&sr=8-1

QUESTIONS:

• 1. Which device of these two would you choose ?
• 2. I also heard about eserviceinfo listing some switching device to which any battery can be connected for seamless changeover from house AC to the power supply, but I can't find such a switching device here. There is a power inverter available here: http://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed-150-watt-dc-ac-power-inverter.html
• 3. In the event the house AC goes off, how many hours of power would the Duracell unit provide this device ?
• 4. How many hours of power would the Cyberpower unit provide ?
• 5. Is there another setup that should be considered to accomplish the goal ?

Thank you in advance.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you make any decisions, make sure that you know more about the medical device's power requirements.
Does the brick transformer supply 24 V AC or DC? What are the equipment's requirements regarding voltage tolerance, ripple etc?

If we assume that the medical equipment requires 24 V DC and that it accepts "automotive" voltage tolerances, then the best solution would probably be to supply it from a 24 V sealed lead-acid battery, for instance 12 to 20 Ah. Connect a stabilized power supply in parallel to the battery and adjust it to a suitable voltage for trickle charging the battery (typically 27,6 V). In case the battery has became discharged, increase the voltage to 29,5-30,0 V for 24 h in order to get it fully charged within reasonable time. Make sure that the power supply has a rated current in the order of 3 to 5 A, and that it has a current limiting feature in case of overcurrent.
You should perform a battery test at least twice a year to make sure that the battery is in good condition. Discharge the battery by a suitable current (for instance, C/20) and make sure that the voltage does not drop below the limit stated by the battery manufacturer before it has delivered at least 80 % of its rated capacity (i.e. after 16 hours if you discharge it by C/20). Make sure that the medical equipment has another reliable power supply for the time of the battery test.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия