electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
How to Fix a Broken Laptop Battery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorryone

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: How to Fix a Broken Laptop Battery Reply with quote

Your laptop battery will eventually weaken over time. A battery that previously lasted two hours on every charge a few years ago now only lasts for 30 minutes. This can be frustrating, especially if you use your laptop frequently and you count on it to be portable. You can fix a broken or worn out laptop battery by simply replacing it with a new one. Doing so will require some minor disassembly of your laptop. Note that opening your laptop may void the manufacturer's warranty. Check your warranty before proceeding with this repair procedure.
Things You'll Need: Screwdriver, Hobby knife or single-edge razor blade, New batteries
1. Allow your laptop battery to fully drain. Then, remove the battery from the laptop, by turning the unit face down and locating the battery compartment. You might need to remove one or more screws from the compartment cover or slide open a latch, depending on the model of your laptop.
2. Slide the battery out of its compartment. The battery pack may be a single unit or may contain contain about six individual batteries in a case, depending on the make and model of your laptop.
3. Remove the individual batteries from the plastic case, if your laptop has a case with multiple batteries; if not, go on to the next step. Use a hobby knife or single-edge razor blade to open the plastic wrapped around the case, if there is any, in order to remove the individual batteries. Replace the old batteries with fresh ones.
4. Insert a new battery pack into the battery compartment of your laptop. Refasten the screws or slide the latch to the closed position to secure the battery compartment door.
5. Plug your laptop in to the AC current and allow the battery to fully charge before using the computer again.
another DIY aficionado

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:53 am    Post subject: caution wit this procedure Reply with quote

If your battery is still holding 30min, do not replace it, yet.
If you can't find an exactly same original battery, it is very likely that other brands of batteries will just last 30 min, "new" or after few weeks of your purchase.

Many times the cells are still good, but a chip (eprom) in the battery circuits reports that the battery can't hold the charge. That is "programmed obsolescence"

I found one page on the web telling how to reprogram the eprom if yours have the same chip number.

Other advice was that, if you change the cells, you should never leave withtout power the circuit, to prevent it to erase and block. You can use a pair of alligators connected to another battery or any other power source of the same rate (often 10.3v).

I could not try that procedure and I changing the cells on a not original battery case did not work for me.

It would be great if someone could manufacture battery cases for replaceable cells where the circuit just prevents that the cells does not overcharge. Other status information could be sent through an USB connector.

If I were an electronics expert I would design something like that.
That problem with the battery seems to be the rule in all computer brands.
Why should I replace my computer, just because I can not find a good quality replacement battery?
I know how to configure my computer, should I have to buy a new one and invest time to learn about it's drivers and peculiarities, just because I can't buy a good battery for it?
Computers should be replaced when they become obsolete for the job that one does on it, or due to failures due to bad maintenance, misuse or accidental dropping by their owners. Circuits are too reliable today, although the new lead free chips have fragile welding spots more sensible to overheating.
roberthardy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: best info Reply with quote

Before Commenting, I wanna say thank you for providing this great information. I feel too good to read it this awesome blog. Keep sharing this type of content.
jeanstewart

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ubuntu warning now says that the capacity now is only 29% .
Please help!
happywheelspace

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charging for long time may reduce the battery life of laptop. Now I need to change my laptop battery and new one is not same as original
maxpayen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

does anyone know how can I repair dead laptop battery without opening and damaging. More precisely can anyone explain me which tool and software is used to flash her (EEPROM) memory ?
Mia11

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charging for long time may reduce the battery life of laptop. Now I need to change my laptop battery and new one is not same as original
universityassignment

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: assignment Reply with quote

Prior to Commenting, I wanna state thank you for giving this incredible data. I feel too great to even consider reading it this wonderful blog. Continue sharing this kind of substance.
susanbenjamin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heat may be one of the symptoms of a dead laptop battery. If you put your laptop from the inside of a heated environment and do some heavy work with your laptop, the heat energy can be generated inside. Since laptop batteries are among the heat-prone devices, the heat generated will directly impact the battery's life and efficiency.
WilliamRiley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your laptop battery is not working properly then replace the circuit and its cell as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия