electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Infinity TSS-450 5.1 Surround Speaker System..diagnosis help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Infinity TSS-450 5.1 Surround Speaker System..diagnosis help Reply with quote

Hello,
I recently bought this set of speakers at a yardsale...
Infinity TSS-450 5.1 Surround Speaker System

I only saw the 5 satellites at the time of purchase but the non working "powered" sub woofer was also thrown in on the deal (would have been a good deal to me with only the 5 small speakers). I asked them what might have been wrong with it (what happened? make any sounds? smoke billowing?) they didn't really know.

I got it home and plugged in the sub unit and the only thing that worked seemed to be the small led on the front. So I opened it up to investigate more. When I got it open I did what I normally do... look... stare... see... look some more. Looking for bulging caps, melted parts, bad solder points etc. All I saw this time was a pretty discolored PCB. It was especially discolored around the power area (I think).

Inside there are two main boards (power and such is bottom board - amplifier? and such on top board) and one smaller sub-board connected to the upper board.

I was stumped just by looking but I figured the localized brownish area on the power board was not a god sign. (It isn't burnt but just darker)
I also noticed that when I plugged it in and off that I could hear a faint click. I deduced the click was coming from a small light blue plastic sealed switch of some sort. I also noticed that under that switch was a very small wire looking part (solid...like a tiny tiny pin) just loose stuck under that switch.

Also I found inside the subwoofer some of the springs and such from the outer speaker wire contacts. About three of those black and red plastic wire support hold down thingies were broken and had fallen back into the sub.

I think possibly some of those springs and other metal parts from the speaker wire inputs may have shorted something out.

I'm pretty good with a soldering iron once I know what/where the problem is. For example...I have replaced a number of caps on my 22" Gateway Monitor recently, replaced therm o switch on big RPS Sony TV etc.

I'm not so good with the multimeter (about the only other electronic tool I have)...where do you stick those things? lol.
I have looked at the schematics for this thing and would LOVE to know where to start the diagnosis/trouble shooting process.

I have taken pictures of the PCB's but somebody deleted them.
I'll take some again if it might help somebody point me in the right direction.

I would LOVE to get this sub working.
Thanks much for any help.

Oh ya...
I did pull that switch (the light blue plastic dealy) got rid of that loose sliver of metal. Resoldered the switch back on. Last time I plugged it in I didn't hear that switch kick in/on/off any more.

Too wordy?
zian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: The above post was mine... Reply with quote

Oooops.
The above post was/is mine.
It was my first.
I wasn't signed in apparently.

Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия